Dropbox and a PC numpty

ecc83

Hi PC gurus. 'Tis I, ecc83 with a question about Dropbox.

I had it on this laptop for a while but found it seemed to be all over the shop, running in the background using resources.
Now it MIGHT have been doing no harm and although this i3HP has Sam pro X 3 and a lot of other recording software on it, I don't do anything remotely 'serious' with it all, it is just that I have an aversion to stuff running around in my PCs that I don't want or need.

I can download Dropbox posts (just did the one from out BMetal friend) or, if I cannot dld I can usually play stuff. I cannot of course UPload stuff unless I re-register.

The point of all this waffle is...Can I have DB but 'stop' it? That is run it when I want (uploads) but keep it 'in its box' when I don't?

Dave.

You can always remove the Dropbox program from your PC and just upload and download via the website. That's what I do on my "production" Mac Mini.

But, FWIW, I have it running locally on my old(er) MacBook and haven't ever thought it was a resource problem. On my wife's PC, however, it did seem to be trying to always move photos from her phone to Dropbox and then to the computer. I disabled that particular feature.

Yes, you can do that. I keep Dropbox running full-time on my desktop PC, but for some reason I decided I didn't want it running full-time on my laptop, so I think I went into my startup program list and said I didn't want it to run at startup. But go figure, now I just start it up manually anyway, duh. :)

Anyway, if you click on the Dropbox icon in your system tray you can click the gear for settings, then click "Exit Dropbox." So you can have it running automatically at startup and then exit whenever you want; or you can have it not run at startup and then start it whenever you want.

Thanks chaps. Will have another do when I am feeling fresher and 'she' is still asleep!

Dave.

Back