"Down the Line"

motorcityhypno

Hello. I am new and to be honest registered mainly to have a problem resolved if possible. I am setting up a podcast in my office. I am using a Behringer Xenyx 802 mixing board. I have the output going into a Tascam Digital Recorder and am using my laptop for background music/sound effects. I have done sound checks and tests and levels are great. Here is my issue. I am having guests call in to the podcast. I have my I-phone plugged in to channel 3/4 and the caller sound is great in the mix. The issue is that the caller can only hear my voice and cannot hear the sound from my computer (that I am using for music, effects, etc). I need my caller to be able to hear the effects (down the line) as we will be discussing what is being played through to the board? I hope this makes sense. I am not a novice but far from a professional sound person!! Thank you so much.

Welcome, I just caught your post. In reality, you are trying to do what is called a mix minus. When it comes to adding a smart phone in to the mix, try this.

1. Set up an VOIP account like Skype for conversation only. You will need an aux send jack for this on your mixer and they will need a cheap USB headset.

2. Come from the speaker out jack on your computer into the aux jack on the mixer. This will allow the person using their smart phone to hear everything that comes through your mixer via Skype. On their channel in from Skype AND where you have your phone plugged in on your mixer, close the aux input. This will keep them from hearing their own voice from Skype as they speak as well as double recording their conversation, while allowing them to hear everything else.

3. They can now hear the music/audio on your end via Skype while you record their conversation on your end, via their smart phone.

This is a great video showing how to set up a mix minus.

Last edited:
Back