Does audio impedance transformer help with noise with Dynamic Mic & digital recorder

inovis

Does audio impedance transformer help with noise with Dynamic Mic & digital recorder

Good evening.

I have a Sennheiser MD 46 microphone hooked up to a high impedance recorder Sony ICDPX333.

I have to set the mic input to Medium, but I grab some noise. A B&H representative told me to use a Low to High Impedance Matching Transformer to bring the microphone low signal to a high signal needed for my recorder.

Will that make it possible to reduce the mic input to Low therefore reduce noise ?

Thanks

Same answer as on your previous thread a couple of days back.

Messing around with matching transformers would be throwing good money after bad. Your recorder is for use as a dictaphone, not for any sort of quality recording. I doubt the change that a transformer could make would even be audible compared to the self noise in the ICD PX333.

Thanks Bobbsy ! I was asking because I've been shopping around for another recorder. I would love to be able to record from the internal mic at the same time I'd be using the external mic (picking up ambient sound on a separate track).

I was reading this Tascam DR-40 | Transom

There are good tests further down the page, and the guy shows that it has the same problem as I do with my "el cheapo" dictaphone.

So I was wondering... even though I have a good mic, it seems like the ones that really can do a good job are high end like the Sony
PCM-D50. Good sample using various setup and recorders : Portable Recorder Noise: The Sounds of Silence

Talking to a Radio Canada journalist, she told me they mostly use the PCM-D50 paired with a Electro-Voice microphone.

Thanks for any advice that could help me make a proper decision. No way I can spend that much on a recorder at this point.

Good day Mike,

On the field interviews with ambient sounds capture. It's for audio documentaries. I currently own a Sennheiser MD46.

I was comparing both the Zoom H4n and the Tascam DR-40, both seems to have that noise when using external dynamic microphones...

Back