Do I have a voice?

RoaringLion

Hey guys I included a link to me singing a random song in the bottom of this thread. I just started taking singing classes and singing is my passion and I love it, I have never taken any classes before but I feel like I have a voice? What do you guys think?

This was recorded off of my iPhone so it isn't the best studio quality but let me know! Thanks guys :)

Link: What you think? - YouTube :)

I suggest you take your poorly recorded and very badly sung <assumption>trolling</assumption> efforts to a singing forum, where people who actually understand singing can give you feedback.

This is a recording forum, and here's a free recording tip for the future - don't record anything standing next to a jet engine or whatever it it is you were standing next to.:thumbs up:

"Lessons are a great idea. Good luck in the future." <- what he said.

Humblest of apologies if I'm wrong on the trolling.... ;)

I'm pretty shite, but holy fuck; that's awful!

You also sound really unhappy, not in a edgy/moody way, but in a "my sandwich fell in the bath and I'm too lazy to make another one" kinda way.

I cannot believe that people actually oblige these "can I sing?" desperate attempts at attention. When did mindless vocal clips begging for feedback become a thing? I guess the respondents just enjoy getting to verbally thrash someone. I guess it's fun for everyone. The entire internet is littered with this stuff. It's like a meme that isn't funny at all.

I do it from time to time as "I think" I can encourage someone to pursue music. I think of some kid out there trying to get some sort idea of self. I know have of it is trolling (probably more), but I get suckered in by my own weakness.

Possibly is trolling but I only posted 'cos I was intrigued after what the first couple of responses! When I listened I started laughing at my desk and someone asked me what I was listening to.

Look, let's be real, this is how I see this stuff after seeing it grow and grow for years online: probably 95% of these "can I sing" clips are either trolling and/or click harvesting. They get off on views. It's weird, I don't understand it, but likes, views, and clicks are the currency these days.

Then there's about 4% that can actually sing pretty decently and they know it, and they just want your admiration and applause. These people are also generally in the click-seeker camp. They usually do not come back to respond or thank anyone for the heaps of praise piled onto their ego.

The last 1% are the people that can marginally sing, really want to sing, maybe just have some confidence issues, and genuinely want genuine feedback and support. And that's cool. No problem.

But to me, in my mind, 1% is not a big enough piece of the pie for me to give a shit when 99% of these jokers are just wasting my time.

IMO, if you have to ask random nobodies on the internet if you can sing, you have some kind of psychological needy issue that goes beyond internet help. If you're so tone deaf that you cannot hear your own pitchiness, lack of melody, and poor timing, then internet people cannot help you. Just my opinion. No offense to those of you that get off on making can I sing videos and/or responding to them.

Look, let's be real, this is how I see this stuff after seeing it grow and grow for years online: probably 95% of these "can I sing" clips are either trolling and/or click harvesting. They get off on views. It's weird, I don't understand it, but likes, views, and clicks are the currency these days.

Then there's about 4% that can actually sing pretty decently and they know it, and they just want your admiration and applause. These people are also generally in the click-seeker camp. They usually do not come back to respond or thank anyone for the heaps of praise piled onto their ego.

The last 1% are the people that can marginally sing, really want to sing, maybe just have some confidence issues, and genuinely want genuine feedback and support. And that's cool. No problem.

But to me, in my mind, 1% is not a big enough piece of the pie for me to give a shit when 99% of these jokers are just wasting my time.

IMO, if you have to ask random nobodies on the internet if you can sing, you have some kind of psychological needy issue that goes beyond internet help. If you're so tone deaf that you cannot hear your own pitchiness, lack of melody, and poor timing, then internet people cannot help you. Just my opinion. No offense to those of you that get off on making can I sing videos and/or responding to them.

I wouldn't/couldn't argue with one thing you've stated here, but I still find myself responding from time to time. I don't get off on it, just keep thinking that is why I joined this board, to help and encourage where I can.

If someone can record a clip to put up on the internet, surely they could just listen to it to hear for themselves whether they can sing?

I'm more likely to believe it if people are looking for specific advice on making improvements.

I wouldn't/couldn't argue with one thing you've stated here, but I still find myself responding from time to time. I don't get off on it, just keep thinking that is why I joined this board, to help and encourage where I can.

And that's cool. But this isn't a singing board. I'm not the police of what gets posted here, but how's the mix on this guy's youtube iphone bathroom recording?

Got to agree Greg, my reaction is often "can you not hear how bad you sing?".
Advice - learn how to sing better so you don't need feedback.

Got to agree Greg, my reaction is often "can you not hear how bad you sing?".

This is the American Idol/Voice/America's Got Talent madness run a muck.

If you take note of how many talentless people THINK they have talent...then the answer is, NO, they do not hear/see how bad they are...or, they have a suspicion, but are still looking for some kind of confirmation in the hopes that someone will applaud them and they can continue on.

I was always most annoyed when seeing suck performances on any of those above mentioned shows getting cheers and applause. All that did was extend the fantasy that someone with mediocre talent got to demonstrate it again on the following week's show. :facepalm:
I appreciated the people/judges who were brutally honest and got those people off the stage on the first pass. :)

Well, I'll never put up a post asking if i have a voice. I can promise you that. :-)

I listened and took it to heart when Clint said "A man's got to know his limitations"
:-)

Back