Do audio interfaces always have onboard pres?

easlern

Boredom artist
Hi guys- basic question here. Is it standard for interfaces to have onboard pres? I'm looking at possibly getting the Delta 1010 (upgrade from Soundblaster) but I'd like something with onboard pres. I couldn't find an answer online. Thanks!

No, not all do, in fact the Delta 1010 doesn't have mic preamps.

How much are you looking to spend? how many channels in do you need? Any other features you're after?

Most do NOT. And many that do have "less than wonderful" sounding preamps.

Like the D-1010LT. It's a great card for the money, but the preamps sort of blow...

Just to clear up any confusion I'm talking about the 1010 with the breakout box. MM is referring to the 1010LT which has no box but has mic pres on inputs 1 and 2. Both have 8 analogue ins/outs.

I've got one pre right now, a Presonus TubePre, and I wouldn't mind getting another if I needed. I'm basically wanting to do two mic setups, one nearfield and one ambient. I don't have a mixer and the Soundblaster has only one input. If I spend $400 on the 1010 and another $100 for another pre, would that beat (value-wise) buying a mixer or other interface with onboard pres?
Thanks!

It is confusing.

• All mics need a preamp, however not all mics need phantom power.
  • Not all 'soundcards' (A/D/A interfaces) have preamps (i.e. Delta 1010).
  • Those that do have preamps may not have them on all channels (Yamaha i88X, 1010LT) and those preamps may not have phantom power (1010LT).
  • Bundled preamps may be sucky (1010LT) or not (CraneSong Spider).

The Presonus Firepod has pres with phantom power on all channels. Note that I have no experience with it.

If you only need 2 inputs the Delta 1010 is overkill anyway, it has 8 analogue ins/outs and inputs you're not using is wasted money you could be spending on better pres/mics etc.

The M Audio audiophile 2496 is a 2in, 2 out card which would be in the same ball park as the Delta quality wise but is only $99 or so.

In fact a very respectable 2 channel budget recording chain is the audiophile card combined with a DMP-3 dual channel mic preamp.

If you really wanted a breakout box and a couple of extra channels 'just in case' the Delta 44 is a 4 in, 4 out card costing around $150.

That's stuff I have experience with anyway and I can vouch for it, you could also look at the presonus firebox or the M Audio Firewire 410, these are both 2 channel firewire interfaces with mic pres both costing $300. (The firebox is the 2 channel version of the firepod wheelema mentioned).

Kevin DeSchwazi said:
If you only need 2 inputs the Delta 1010 is overkill anyway, it has 8 analogue ins/outs and inputs you're not using is wasted money you could be spending on better pres/mics etc.
Well, I understand where Kevin is coming from. I only need two myself, but I got eight just in case.

Thanks for your input, guys. I think I'll check out the Delta 44. That should give me a little room to expand if necessary, and with a second decent pre, still won't cost me an arm and a leg.

Back