Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Distortion after rendering to 16 bit when played on consumer devices

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I'm using reaper and I don't have any compression or limiting or any effects at all active . Basically what I did was gather the 5 songs, each one being a mixdown I was happy with, loaded them into my daw, adjusted the volume on each to where they were pretty much the same volume (none if them got passed - 3 db), and exported them one at a time to 16/44.1. With dithering checked

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    Hi there,

What DAW are you using and do you have a master fader?
    I did this once in ProTools and baffled myself. Threw together a quick mic check for somebody and the mp3 kept distorting.
    The main audio track did not go into the red, but I was using a compressor with makeup and, without a master track, was unable to see that final output was clipping heavily.\

In the DAW everything sounded perfect, presumably to do with the operating bit depth? I don't know.
    Reaper, and yes I have a master fader, I mean basically the default set up with individual tracks and a master fader, us that what u mean? Sorry, still learning all this....

Thanks
    Idk, I worked backwards and adjusted the volume faders. It must be something with the car stereo, I played it in the office, the living room, thru a boom box, in my studio, thru headphones and my friends studio, sounds great in everything but the car, where it sounds distorted, almost broken. The thing is, I played commercial cd's in the car and I don't hear it.... Maybe there are some frequencies my music has that just happen to be absent from the commercial cd's. .

Thanks
    Just thought I'd share what I learned so we can close this or mark the issue as 'fixed' or whatever...
    Turns out it's the car stereo. I called my mastering engineer and he suggested getting a sweep tone and burning it to a CD and playing it in the car to see if certain frequencies are distorting, I did and yes, I'm several spots. The reason the commercial cds didn't sound like that was because apparently none of the songs I happened to play had much going on in those frequencies, but yeah... I'm very glad it wasn't my mix. Thanks for all the input, live and learn I guess

Thanks
    I must ask though, if you don't hear your car stereo 'distorting' with commercial CD's, then why is yours? Brings in a question there doesn't it?
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    Too much bass sub frequencies present in your mix?

Alan.

Thread Information