Digital Multi-track recorder with CDR(W), what's the best under $1K?

stpauler

Newbie to digital recording here. Basic facts.
I've got a cassette based Tascam 4 track from the late eighties. Eep. I play acoustic guitars (most have plug ins), mandolin, dulcimer, accordion, electric bass, keys, bongos and harmonica. I've got a standard mic that's got some good sound.
What I want to do now is get the same ease of recording as the 4 track cassette has but have it go directly to CDR. Most of my friends have CD players and so does the car. I have a computer with a CDRW drive in it but I use it more for other things so the memory/harddrive could be an issue to install big programs on it.
So I guess I want more of a stand alone recorder. Lay the tracks and have the system burn the CD.
I've looked at a bunch of models and most of them have options I really don't need, like a drum or bass machine.
So I've got a $1000.00 (american) to spend. What would y'all recommend? Where's the best place to buy too? (it looks like zzounds.com or music123.com are good options).
Many thanks,
josh

P.S. I did about 9 searches for a thread like this but didn't come up with much that lead me in this specific direction, I'm sorry if I missed the thread and ask for mercy if it's been done before. :o)

the vf-160. ($999) w/t cd burner ($799) w/t out cd-burner. i record on it's little brother (vf-16) and it is one great recorder!
the only prom. that i have Ever had with it is, the low eq is fixed at 400hz. but you can just go down to the music store and buy a grafic eq for $100 bucks or so and that will get you by.

for more info on the fostex vf-160, go to:

www.fostex.com
www.vf16.com

(oh! and the vf-160/16 is a 16-track recorder)

good luck,

zeke

Back