Digital Mixer/Audio Interface Suggestions

teacherdan

Hi,

I'm new to Logic, but have been home recording for the last seven or eight years. I started with Traction 2 and then switched to Garage Band a few years ago, when I bought a MBP.

I primarily record using an older Presonus Firebox (6in/8out), and it's usually just an acoustic guitar, occasionally piano and then vocals.

I'm a secondary school teacher (history), but I host an after school songwriters club once a week. Some of the songs the students write and record are amazing. We're starting to perform our songs once or twice a year live. So, I'm thinking about upgrading my interface.

I'd love to have the ability to track the students as a band (drums, 2 guitars, bass, 1 - 2 vocals) live, so I am looking into a digital mixer with a USB/Firewire/Thunderbolt out that lets me record the instruments and mics as individual tracks.

Thoughts or suggestions on a decent mixer that will fit the bill?

Thanks,

Dan

As long as you're only recording, you can do wonderful stuff with any interface.
Tascam's 16x08 unit is new, but is based on the us1800 that is rock solid ~300US (16 in 8 out).
Focusrite 18i20 currently comes with the free Red Series plugins and is a nice unit in the $450 range (18 in 20 out including including ADAT). You can also pick up the PreSonus equivalent for just $50 more.
The new Focusrite 192 USB is the first (that I know of) USB 3.0 interface. Has better preamp specs and goes 18 in/26 out if I remember. Runs $900.
There are also many others to choose from...MOTU 8Pre @ $550 and Steinberg 824 @ $800 are both strong contenders...
Prices go up from there

All of the interfaces have 8 preamps (2 vox + 6 drums) if you need more, you might have to do some digging. I believe Zen Audion makes an Antelope with 12 pres.

If you're looking for more, you start at about $2000 for PreSonus StudioLive or Behri X32 or equivalent. Be careful when looking at mixers that the usb connect actually conveys ALL the channels and not just stereo...

If you are actually looking for a full functioning digital mixer that can be used as an interface, the Behringer X-32 is actually really good. You will also never outgrow it. It can also be used as a live mixer for bands, theater, monitor board, etc...

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm looking for a mixer/interface that can serve as a mixer for live performances, as well as a way to record the individual tracks when rehearsing/performing as a six to eight piece.

I had looked at the X-32, but I'd like to keep the cost below (well below if possible) $1000 USD.

Thanks again,

Dan

The Behringer X18 will do what you want, as long as you slap your iPad on it...and it comes in rack or desktop for $700. There is a 16 channel with 8 mic pres for $499.

You are correct about the 1220i having too few channels. First, only four pres. If you have two vocals that only leaves you Glynn Johns or Recorderman for the drums. Don't get me wrong, you can get great sound from Glynn Johns/Recorderman style miking, but in a live session, you might want a bit more separation. But, if you can get away with it, it leaves you the other 8 (4) channels for keys bass and a pair of guitars, maybe more if you can balance pairs...is there a big brother with a few more pres? I'm just afraid you're going to outgrow this as fast as you buy it.

I realize firewire and mac are good buddies, but USB is still an option. Works fine for 20 tracks at 96k...

Hey BroKen_H,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not adverse to USB. I'm just trying to get the best'est for the least'est. I'm definitely looking at the Behringer. I'm also thinking maybe I should look into daisy-chaining a few of the smaller interfaces that we have in the group. Two of the older students have 4in/6out'ish interfaces.

Hey BroKen_H,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not adverse to USB. I'm just trying to get the best'est for the least'est. I'm definitely looking at the Behringer. I'm also thinking maybe I should look into daisy-chaining a few of the smaller interfaces that we have in the group. Two of the older students have 4in/6out'ish interfaces.

Note that many of those interfaces advertised as '6 out' really include the audio outputs, it doesn't mean that they have 6 separate AD converters. And daisy-chaining interfaces together won't give you separate tracks to record unless the interfaces are using SPDIF - and you're still limited by the capabilities of the last interface in the chain.

Back