Digital Buzz in Analog Recordings PLEASE help!!

chen0weth

Hi everyone,

I'm new here! I just started making home recorded tracks on my 2016 macbook pro using logic, a condenser mic and a scarlett 2i2. Ive been recording both vocal tracks and layering guitar tracks. Unfortunately I've run into an issue with a digital buzz / crackle type of sound that has been ruining my recordings. I have taken advice from both my friend who is an audio engineer and the audio pro at my local guitar center, but nobody has been able to help me fix the problem. The usb / mic / guitar cables do not seem to be the issue.

Here is a link to a short example of the sound. buzz by Shenoth | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated as I am loving home recording, but frustrated with this issue. Thank you!!

Thank you for the response!! I actually returned the interface and exchanged it for another - didn't fix the problem. Any ideas for how I could free up computer power / resources when I record? (only been using mac for the past year, so not as savvy)

Hi everyone,

I'm new here! I just started making home recorded tracks on my 2016 macbook pro using logic, a condenser mic and a scarlett 2i2. Ive been recording both vocal tracks and layering guitar tracks. Unfortunately I've run into an issue with a digital buzz / crackle type of sound that has been ruining my recordings. I have taken advice from both my friend who is an audio engineer and the audio pro at my local guitar center, but nobody has been able to help me fix the problem. The usb / mic / guitar cables do not seem to be the issue.

Here is a link to a short example of the sound. buzz by Shenoth | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated as I am loving home recording, but frustrated with this issue. Thank you!!

Won't play for me "This track is private."

Perhaps a stupid question, but did you had a phone to close? Or some other electrical device?
It sounds like an electrical frequency leak related disturbance to me.

Perhaps a stupid question, but did you had a phone to close? Or some other electrical device?
It sounds like an electrical frequency leak related disturbance to me.

Not stupid at all!

If you continue recording for a longer period, does any pattern develop in the interference?

Thanks for the responses everyone. Here's a longer vocal track being fucked by this buzz haha.

vocal buzz by Shenoth | Free Listening on SoundCloud

In response to the electrical equipment idea, I am recording within 5 feet of a router and modem at my parents house. Also a desktop computer. Could that be the issue?

EDIT: Additionally the feedback / buzz will come through input monitoring EVEN when I'm not recording

Not stupid at all!

If you continue recording for a longer period, does any pattern develop in the interference?

Well, having a phone might be. hahah I don't get that from my land line, but ya, that could be some active device, for sure.

In response to the electrical equipment idea, I am recording within 5 feet of a router and modem at my parents house. Also a desktop computer. Could that be the issue?

Absolutely. The computer itself is unlikely but it'd be worth powering down the router/modem for 10 mins to test.

If it's not that, the only other plausible thing I can think of is a clock related issue? At least, that's the only thing I've encountered that might make that sort of noise.

Absolutely. The computer itself is unlikely but it'd be worth powering down the router/modem for 10 mins to test.

If it's not that, the only other plausible thing I can think of is a clock related issue? At least, that's the only thing I've encountered that might make that sort of noise.

I tried moving my recording equipment to the garage (no electrical equipment). ended up with the same buzz : /. gettin hopeless over here haha.

also, not sure what you mean by clock-related? how would i check / fix that?

It's a long shot but go into Utilities -> Audio/Midi setup.
Select your interface from the left hand list, and ensure that 'Clock Source' is set to internal.

If it already was, try another options just for troubleshooting's sake.

UPDATE: Tried recording vocals via the built in mic in my mac. ZERO buzz.... could it be an issue with the usb ports or some sort of compatibility issue between the interface and the computer? (this interface is brand new, returned the first brand new one because it had this same buzz)

It's a long shot but go into Utilities -> Audio/Midi setup.
Select your interface from the left hand list, and ensure that 'Clock Source' is set to internal.

If it already was, try another options just for troubleshooting's sake.

it is set to usb internal. didn't have any other options. tried messing with the Hz levels but didnt change anything : /. thanks for tryin man

could it be an issue with the usb ports or some sort of compatibility issue between the interface and the computer?

I doubt it but a quick and easy way to prove would be to test the microphone, cable, and interface with that desktop computer you mentioned earlier.
You could also try on your mac with the power supply disconnected.

Did you install focusrite drivers for mac at any point?
They are no longer required in modern MacOS and can, apparently, cause issues.

Cool.
Is there any Focusrite software installed at all? If so, remove it too and restart.

If you need instructions on how to restart a mac, PM me. :p

Tried to link up the interface with my pc desktop and couldn't get it to recognize the interface as a device... kill me now haha.

but if you or anybody else have any other ideas im all ears (for fixing it through the mac, not connecting to the pc... im over trying that). thanks again for all the help

EDIT: and i can check, but i never physically installed anything from focusrite

Pretty sure you'd need to install their drivers for testing on the windows side.
Bit of a pain, I know, but it's a pretty big troubleshooting step.

If, for example, you experience the same thing on the desktop PC, you've pretty much narrowed the issue down to mic, cable, or something environmental.

Back