Digital Buzz in Analog Recordings PLEASE help!!

Pretty sure you'd need to install their drivers for testing on the windows side.
Bit of a pain, I know, but it's a pretty big troubleshooting step.

If, for example, you experience the same thing on the desktop PC, you've pretty much narrowed the issue down to mic, cable, or something environmental.

Hey Steen, installed the drivers and tried it on my PC. zero buzz. any idea where to go from here? would really like to be using my macbook over my parents computer

Hey,
That's interesting. It's progress too.

Pretty sure the device is compatible right up until Sierra, so hopefully there's something that can be fixed.

Even if it seems random or unrelated, try to change or remove any variables you can think of.
If you have any additional USB peripherals, remove them and test.
If you're using a hub, bypass it and test.
If you're not and you happen to have a hub (powered, preferably), put it in the chain and test.

Disable wifi+bluetooth and test.

If you have any mains powered devices connected to your laptop or interface, physically disconnect them and test. (studio monitors, printers...anything)

If you have the mains charger connected, unplug it and test.

This is all just pure guesswork, but each guess rules something out. :)
Do them one by one so you know which one works, if any of them does.

Hey,
That's interesting. It's progress too.

Pretty sure the device is compatible right up until Sierra, so hopefully there's something that can be fixed.

Even if it seems random or unrelated, try to change or remove any variables you can think of.
If you have any additional USB peripherals, remove them and test.
If you're using a hub, bypass it and test.
If you're not and you happen to have a hub (powered, preferably), put it in the chain and test.

Disable wifi+bluetooth and test.

If you have any mains powered devices connected to your laptop or interface, physically disconnect them and test. (studio monitors, printers...anything)

If you have the mains charger connected, unplug it and test.

This is all just pure guesswork, but each guess rules something out. :)
Do them one by one so you know which one works, if any of them does.

Sooooo I tried different usb ports, dont have a hub, turned off wifi / bluetooth, and still no luck. the buzz is persistent through input monitoring and once it starts it repeats intermittently or becomes more prominent. we've ruled out the interface as the issue as ive tried two different ones now. i was walked through by a lady from applecare to get rid of applications and speed up my computer. none of it has worked : /. if you have any more possible solutions that would be great, and thank you soooo much for being willing to sit and quickly respond to help. cant thank ya enough.

my next question is if we cant figure this out who do i go to that could potentially fix it?

It's probably pointless at this stage but you could set up to record from your input, but have the mic and cable disconnected.
You'll hear an abnormal amount of hiss - that's expected.

I thoroughly expect you'll still have the same issue but hey..it's one more thing to try.

Another thing to do is try different recording software to rule out any problem with logic itself.
Download something free - Audacity, Reaper, whatever.

Actually...if you fire up the interface and put direct monitoring on but don't even open logic, do you still hear the problem?

What's your location?

edit: No problem...Glad to help, if I can.

Well, you can go back to message #2 and check usage spikes

Utilities > Activity Monitor.

Check CPU idle percentage at the bottom, total physical memory used, and disk read+write/sec.
Do all of this with logic open and record running.

I've never heard that kind of glitch as a result of low system resources, but anything's worth ruling out.

Utilities > Activity Monitor.

Check CPU idle percentage at the bottom, total physical memory used, and disk read+write/sec.
Do all of this with logic open and record running.

I've never heard that kind of glitch as a result of low system resources, but anything's worth ruling out.

not sure why, but the buzz has gone down significantly. will check back/pm if and when it comes back haha

EDIT: its back

It's unlikely to be the case but you'd need to observe system usage while you're recording and, more importantly, while you hear the glitching happening, in order to learn anything conclusive.
If, say, your CPU usage shot to 100% every time there was an audio glitch, it would be a pretty significant clue. Same for disk reads/writes.

Also, please do the things in #24

would changing the sample rate affect anything?

It shouldn't but it would do no harm to rule it out.
If your DAW has its own separate sample rate option you should make sure it's set the same as your system sample rate.

Any software I've used has followed the system settings by default, but I've never used logic so I don't know much about its settings.

I know you said you didn't install anything, but just to be super-certain...

Navigate to System > Library > Extensions >

If FocusriteUsb2Audio.kext exists, unplug the scarlett, delete the.kext, and restart the system.

what does that mean haha. is my comp spiking during recording?

haha No, I donut find this a problem in Linux, either. And, we don't hear about this on a Mac, but that's how it sounded to me. Does the Apple version of your DAW have any usage/overload indicators - pasted around the extreme top or bottom ?

Luckily, I have no end of glitchy computers pulling 100 % CPU to snap a 200 percent something

Attachments

• DAWload.jpg
    DAWload.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 2
tried audacity but had issues with recording on it. went to garageband instead and attempted it but its equally as bad as logic. i dont know how to do direct monitoring without a DAW

---------- Update ----------

haha No, I donut find this a problem in Linux, either. And, we don't hear about this on a Mac, but that's how it sounded to me. Does the Apple version of your DAW have any usage/overload indicators - pasted around the extreme top or bottom ?

Luckily, I have no end of glitchy computers pulling 100 % CPU to snap a 200 percent something

Unfortunately logic nor garageband have usage / overload indicators. and not sure if this is related, but the sound isnt clipping at all. i get buzz at very low levels still

Back