Which Digital Audio Workstation best for newbies?

LionMessy

I am a newbies and planning to start a small home recording studio. I like to sing karaoke and player guitar. I am going to buy a mic, mixer or a audio card and a digital workstation.

Your input are much appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks.
I meant DAW refers to software.
I know I kinda have to get familiar with the features and possible workflows, but how to and with what hardware and software to start with for a newbies?

The DAW all sound the same. I would buy bargain priced new stuff, until you get some experience under your belt.

Please let me rephrase my question.

I am new to audio recording. I play electric guitar and karaoke singer. I like to record some karaoke song or to record songs with friends who play guitar also. that is why i like to set up something like a small home recording studio.

I have a laptop and a desktop, a home audio video system (a sub woofer, 2 speakers and amplifier and TV), so what kind of software like DAW etc and hardware (like mic, mixer etc) do I need? Which brands are good in term of price, compatible and easy to use?

Recommendations are highly appreciated.

1) behringer umc404hd 4x4 usb audio/midi interface

VOICE
2) Shure SM58 Dynamic Microphone
2) XLR mic cords

Guitar amp
2) Shure SM57 Dynamic Microphone
2) XLR mic cords

Software
Samplitude Music Studio

MICs, interface, and software are about $100 each

I am a newbies and planning to start a small home recording studio. I like to sing karaoke and player guitar. I am going to buy a mic, mixer or a audio card and a digital workstation.

Your input are much appreciated. Thanks.

All DAWs do pretty much the same thing. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. Whether any is particularly suited to a newbie is a tricky question to answer. That's because, of necessity, there is a significant learning curve with all, and also because the way a DAW is programmed and the consequent workflow it offers may or may not seem intuitive depending on how the person likes to think about things.

I personally like and would recommend Reaper as a DAW, and I find it very easy and intuitive to use. But I can't decide whether that's because it really is easy and intuitive, or that's just my impression because I'd had broad experience with DAWs prior to Reaper so I kind of new what to expect, or because it really does do things the way I expect them to be done.

You need a decent mike. You don't need a mixer. You do need an audio interface that provides a variety of inputs. You may consider a mixer that doubles as an interface.

All DAWs do pretty much the same thing. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. Whether any is particularly suited to a newbie is a tricky question to answer. That's because, of necessity, there is a significant learning curve with all, and also because the way a DAW is programmed and the consequent workflow it offers may or may not seem intuitive depending on how the person likes to think about things.

I personally like and would recommend Reaper as a DAW, and I find it very easy and intuitive to use. But I can't decide whether that's because it really is easy and intuitive, or that's just my impression because I'd had broad experience with DAWs prior to Reaper so I kind of new what to expect, or because it really does do things the way I expect them to be done.

You need a decent mike. You don't need a mixer. You do need an audio interface that provides a variety of inputs. You may consider a mixer that doubles as an interface.
Great recap.

I think the first thing to realize is that whether it's about mics or DAWs or whatever, you ask 10 people and you'll get 10 diff answers. It's all VERY subjective. I didn't like Reaper but it seems to be popular and it's inexpensive and best of all you can download a trial version for free (a number of them have similar offerings), so I suggest starting there. Or better yet, download Audacity (totally free) and mess with that awhile, if for no other reason than just to get used to using a DAW.

As for mics and mixers, a lot of this depends on what kind of music you intend to do, how "serious" are you with this (is this just to mess around for fun, or do you want to record some music that you might want to make commercially available, etc)......many people will insist you need to spend at least X amount and anything less is total crap. This is, with rare exception at most and silly extremes aside, incredibly bad and painfully stupid advice. Don't listen to them, unless you have so much money it won't matter to you either way. As for specific ones, again it's so subjective and my experience is limited anyway; I don't pretend to be an "expert," but I can tell you what I've seen most often recommended either by reviews online or in forums like this i.e. what seems to be popular...but first (if you haven't already) I suggest you do some research and learn about the specific kinds of mics and various features of an audio interface to get a feel for what might and might not work well for you.

thanks for the info.

one quick question, as the price of a mixer may be a hundred dollars more than audio interface, but I think the potential of expansion (correct me if I were wrong) of a mixer (since it seems to have more inputs and outputs for mics and lot of control knobs) is better than AI? But most of you prefer AI, why?

At the beginner stage mixers generally get trashed in favour of an all-in-one interfaces for a number of reasons.
There are plenty of times when a mixer is idea*l, like podcasting/live interviewing/complex routing, patching hardware effects etc, but often it's just unnecessary extra features in exchange for limitations.

If you're talking about an analog output traditional mixer then it's getting plugged into a computer soundcard (usually) which isn't the best way to go for quality.
It also limits you to two simultaneous discrete channels, regardless of how many inputs the mixer has.

If you go with a USB mixer that's maybe a step up (taking the pc sound card out of the loop) but you're generally limited to those two channels again in your DAW, with the budget models.

You can get multichannel usb/firewire mixers, or pair up a mixer with direct outs per channel with a set of converters,
but once you're spending that sort of money you could be buying a great 8 channel interface instead (or two?!).

As I say, plenty of times* the functionality of a mixer is exactly what's needed but at the entry level home recording it's usually not.

* If the extent of your plan is to record solo vocal and a guitar, as separate takes, against a backing track, a little 2 channel USB mixer would be just fine.
A 2 channel USB audio interface would be equally fine. :)

You don't always get outputs on modest mixers. They usually mix (it is a mixer) down to Left & Right. They have 16-channels over usb, etc., at the increased price. I use L & R (2-buss out) a lot just inputting a lot of synths programmed to play. It is USB, but I'm just cable connecting it to whatever recorder I want to use.

So, you may have to read the fine print about outputs. My last mixer has 8 channels with output jacks that can go to a 8-channel interface. So, I can record from the interface or stick the mixer up front for the features

thanks for the info.

one quick question, as the price of a mixer may be a hundred dollars more than audio interface, but I think the potential of expansion (correct me if I were wrong) of a mixer (since it seems to have more inputs and outputs for mics and lot of control knobs) is better than AI? But most of you prefer AI, why?
? Mixers have no more inherent "expansion potential" than an AI. Don't be dazzled because it has lots of fancy fun-looking knobs.

We prefer AI generally because you get more bang for your buck (at least that's the theory). You get what you need vs the fancy knobs, which, if you're going to use a DAW, you don't need.

"I like to sing karaoke and player guitar".

I think a lot would depend on how karaoke the posters messing around will be. Reach over and turn up the reverb for the last note and pelvic thrust

Hmm? IMHO this OP's requirements are a little different and more complex than the usual 'Noob > mic> guitar?
AFAIK karaoke is an performance (er?) art? That is to say they have the 'hole in the middle' backing track going out over some form of PA (even if a grotty RED bedroom box) and then the singer slots in the middle with their rendition. N.B. the singer needs to be panned dead centre, can't do that with one mic and any AI I am aware of?

OP, COULD setup the above then use a pair of mics into an AI or USB mixer to capture what is heard in the room but it would be D.I.R.E!

Where, how and when the electric guitar comes into all this GAKnows! Then again, where do the 'mates' fit into the acoustic picture, backing group?

I think OP needs to tell us his intended M.O? One scenario is a mixer. Karaoke backing goes into 2 line inputs, mic(s) into (!) mic channels and are panned accordingly. Guitar? FKnows! Now, does he want that whole lot amped up into the room as per the inebriated experience many seem to enjoy or will headphones serve? The whole thing is recorded (should have said! USB mixer) .

If 'I' were attempting this exercise I could use my ZED 10 to capture 2 lines, guitar via high Z line, and pan up to 4 microphones. I COULD feed that to the PC via USB but I wouldn't! It would get there by way of??? Yup, NI KA6.

In short, I think OP needs a bit more kit than he thinks he does including, AFAICS, a mixer so as to pan the mics.

Dave.

I don't think the OP's requirements are too extensive. OP says: "I am a newbies and planning to start a small home recording studio. I like to sing karaoke and player guitar."

That doesn't sound too much like recording stuff in a karaoke bar somewhere. It sounds more like OP is going to sing along and record his vocals, and maybe guitar, to pre-recorded backing tracks in his home. A pretty basic interface would suit that requirement just fine.

I don't think the OP's requirements are too extensive. OP says: "I am a newbies and planning to start a small home recording studio. I like to sing karaoke and player guitar."

That doesn't sound too much like recording stuff in a karaoke bar somewhere. It sounds more like OP is going to sing along and record his vocals, and maybe guitar, to pre-recorded backing tracks in his home. A pretty basic interface would suit that requirement just fine.

You could well be right Mr G but I still feel we need more info. Then what about the mates?

Dave.

You could start a try with audacity (free. That already is a good piece of software for simple recordings.
Then a simple mic pre-amp to plug in your pc will do already. A mic pre-amp is always handy to have, even if extending.
Play some. Record some. Load plugins in it and play with these. Produce something. Try it all a bit.

If that far you will experience the moment that this set-up will do no more for you, cause you want more. And then you know better whát you want more.

You could start a try with audacity (free. That already is a good piece of software for simple recordings.
Then a simple mic pre-amp to plug in your pc will do already. A mic pre-amp is always handy to have, even if extending.
Play some. Record some. Load plugins in it and play with these. Produce something. Try it all a bit.

If that far you will experience the moment that this set-up will do no more for you, cause you want more. And then you know better whát you want more.

All good^ but you might as well get a small mixer as a pre amp. Cost about the same even with USB.

Dave.

Ya, we don't know if its karaoke guitar, also. But there is plenty of that going around. It could be guitar is just guitar recording ? Anyway, with two electric guitars(and acoustic), two people will often be singing

All good^ but you might as well get a small mixer as a pre amp. Cost about the same even with USB.

Dave.

Indeed Dave, i agree. But if guitar recorded with mic, most mic pre-amps for more mics have build in mixers so i guessed he would find those options himself in a search for one. IMO many mic pre-amps would do the job for him to start off simple for directional experience.

Back