Difference between track and channel?

braveheart

What is the difference between a track and a channel and why is this difference significant in sound editing?

I was excoriated in a CE Pro Forum for not understanding this difference.

I don't know why it's important in sound editing, but based on my perhaps idiosyncratic understanding of the words:

recorders (and recordings) are divided into "tracks"

mixers have "channels."

Ordinarily you connect track 2 from your recorder (if it's a tape recorder, this is playing what's recorded on an actual physical strip of tape thats a little ways in from the edge) to channel 2 of your mixer ... but you don't have to.

You record on a channel as a means to reach a track, you record to a track.
Welcome to the site, you will learn much here my son and noone will razz you for such a question.

In a Pro forum that would be understandable.

This isn't a Pro forum though many hang out here.

You record through a channel to reach a track.

braveheart said:
What is the difference between a track and a channel and why is this difference significant in sound editing?

I was excoriated in a CE Pro Forum for not understanding this difference.

would I be excoriated if I said I didn't know what excoriated meant?

and what cep dicks threatened excoriation? We'll go kick their asses.

:D

welcome aboard. These guys already answered your Q so I'm just bumping.

miles

Many thanks to all who responded...

Can I take this to the next lower level...?

With respect to CE Pro (and I realize that this section is not the CE Pro section, but some of you who are familiar with CEP and sound editing may be able to rescue such a sorry soul as I...)

If you think I should restate this question in the CEP section I will do so...

After creating a stereo .wav file in CEP, I selected the right channel and then right clicked the selected right channel wave form and moved it to Track #1 of Multi-track view. I did the same for the left channel and moved it to Track #2.

But, lo and behold, what I found was that BOTH channels were moved to Track #1 and both were moved to Track #2.

I could not find any explanation in the CEP user manual to tell me why the program was doing this. But, there must be something about sound editing, channels and tracks that I am just not getting.

Intuition seemed to tell me that, hey..., right channel move to Track#1 and left channel move to the next track, i.e., Track #2. But, the program seems to have a different set of intuition.

Yes, one helpful member of the Syntrillium CEP form did tell me that I could achieve the result I wanted buy doing a cut and paste job for each stereo channel. But, I want to know why the editing program was designed to move both channels to each track. This understanding might help me better know what I am doing...

I know that you dont all have CEP, but for those who do... please help me understand why a sound editor would not just move the right to #1 and the left to #2.

[to excoriate = to terminate with extreme prejudice...!! sorta...]

Thanks for your knowledge and patience...

Back