Did I just fry my interface?

jtessmer

I'm using a Behringer U-Phoria 404. I just got an Audio Technica AT2035. I wasn't getting any signal in the track like I was with a dynamic mic. I read that the usb power was not enough to power the phantom power that the condenser mic needed. So I took the power supply off of my drum machine and plugged it into the back of the Behinger. It lit up a bunch of the clip and signal lights, and now it doesn't work at all....

Ok....what next? Another Behringer witht the proper power supply or should I run thismic through amixer before the interface?

Hi there,
The answer is maybe.

What you need to do is unplug the drum machine supply from the 404, then check the specs of both.
The 404 should have a marking to tell you desired voltage and polarity. If not, the manual will tell you.

Likewise, the adapter you used should be marked with voltage and polarity.

From your description things don't sound good but come back with that info and we'll know a little more. :)

Unless the 404 has decent self-protection circuitry, you've given it a nasty jolt, and that may have fried it. When an input says 5v, that's what it needs to get.

Input to the 404 says 5v=1000 mA

Out on the Drum Machine power supply was 12 v = 500 mA

Yeah, that's not great news. :(
The fact that it lit up then died would suggest it's damaged.

The cost of repair is probably prohibitive but maybe you know someone handy who might take a look?

The beauty of the 404 is it only cost $100....but hopefully you can resurrect it I'm far from an electronics wiz but I am not afraid to open anything that is broken and so cheap it does not merit taking to repair shop ...You might see a fuse or a blown resistor I'd open it up and snoop around...you might get lucky ...if not poof there went $100

Not sure what the heck you were thinking in regards to beefing up the power to the interface to power the mic.... It would would have zero effect...helping power the mic that is...you already know what effect it had on the 404...

You either need a mixer or interface with 48 volt phantom power for that mic......or a 1 channel phantom power supply made specifically to power one phantom powered mic...behringer makes a nice one for about $40 but less expensive ones can be had on Fleabay HERE in the neighborhood of $15 to $30..

Sorry about your failed experiment but this is how some of us learn....the hard way ... Hang in there and keep on pluggin away!

First of all, you are never going to 'improve' a 5 volt 'USB' device by giving it more volts! Some things, external USB burners are one, need more CURRENT than a single USB 2.0 port can provide and thus you need a 'Y' USB cable with two 'A' plugs on it.
My NI KA6 has feeble phantom current delivery but the 'Y' connector did not improve it (I built a USB 'breakout' circuit and the ~5V did not change).

No, I too doubt the Berry has much in the way of protection. This is the sort of 'hidden' overengineering that people object to paying for these days. That said, pretty stupid of Bellringers to make the external supply 5 volts! Most AIs of that size DO use a 12V PSU (e.g. my F'rite 8i6) and even the humble M-A Fast track pro was a nominal 9volts but probably would not have been embarrassed by 12?

I agree with TAE, have a shuffty inside. Look for a burned out fusible resistor or a 'Wickman' fuse, round, pea sized, brown or black. If Berrys have fitted an RF filter (ho! ho!) in the DC path it could be a very wee toroid and burned out. You will need a Digital Multimeter.

The AT20235 requires 11 to 52 volts at a typical 3.8mA. Shall we say 4mA* for jazz? If the AI cannot supply THAT from ONE XLR of 4 then it is ***t indeed.

*That is less then half the official phantom power specification. One of my hobby horses is that PPower delivery is NEVER mentioned in specifications and hardly ever tested in reviews!

Dave.

Yes the Tascam US-600 model does provide Phantom power to some of the inputs...remember for future reference it HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE POWER SUPPLY to the unit only if it offers Phantom power which as per wiki has 3 common variants...

The International Electrotechnical Commission Standards Committee's "Multimedia systems - Guide to the recommended characteristics of analogue interfaces to achieve interoperability" (IEC 61938:2013) specifies parameters for microphone phantom power delivery. Three variants are defined by the document: P12, P24 and P48. In addition, Two additional variants (P12L and SP48) are also mentioned for specialized applications. Most microphones now use the P48 standard (maximum available power is 240 mW). Although 12 and 48 volt systems are still in use, the standard recommends 24 volt supply for new systems.

Here's a link to the complete wiki with more than anything and everything the average Joe Schmoe homerecorder ever needs to know about it

Thanks for all the helpful responses. I don't have a mixer, I believe I'll just replace the interface. I like the idea of the 4 inputs, in the event that I would record a drum a set. Would the Tascam US-600 WITH the correct power supply solve my problem of powering the AT2035?

Here's one that I could pick up;

Tascam US-600 USB 2.0 Audio/MIDI Interface, 6-in / 4-out interface, 4 43774026821 | eBay

to be honest, although all the Tascam multi-input AIs have had a decent rep, the 600 IS getting on a bit now. I am not sure you will find Win 10 drivers for it for instance.
E bay is a bit of a risk anyway for complex equipment that will be hard to check out quickly (you need to install it, learn it, learn a DAW....)

Just my 2p'oth'

Dave.

Whoa! Hold the presses! According to the specs I'm finding for sure the current Uphoria 404HD has phantom power...I searched a bit and on Behringers website the picture of the legacy 404 appears to have it also so.......WTF?

based on what I'm seeing your mic should have worked with the original 404 and for sure will work with a new 404 HD

here's a pic of the 404

Here's a pic of the 404 HD

Bigger n shit they both have 48V phantom power...

they both already have phantom power....maybe you just didn't have it enabled? Not sure as I have not used the uphoria's but A LOT of people are digging them....

Whoa! Hold the presses! According to the specs I'm finding for sure the current Uphoria 404HD has phantom power...I searched a bit and on Behringers website the picture of the legacy 404 appears to have it also so.......WTF?

based on what I'm seeing your mic should have worked with the original 404 and for sure will work with a new 404 HD

here's a pic of the 404

Here's a pic of the 404 HD

Bigger n shit they both have 48V phantom power...

they both already have phantom power....maybe you just didn't have it enabled? Not sure as I have not used the uphoria's but A LOT of people are digging them....

I think TAE that the OP did have phantom power turned on but suspected that there was not enough current delivery? Hence the wrong headed attempt to increase it.

The microphone draws some 4mA which is about twice what is common these days but the Berry should have been able to produce that.

As I say, 48V current capability is something almost never given in specifications and almost never tested for. We can only therefore ASSUME it is to standard but it ain't necessarily so!

Dave.

Yes, the 404 has phantom power. So I believe the consensus is that using only the USB power it would not have enough power to run the mic. But If​ I
had the proper 5v power supply, the unit would have enough power to run the mic..

USB only interfaCES CAN DO +48 FINE OFF The 500ma USB buss.. The interface may demand exclusive current draw, though : )

Yes, the 404 has phantom power. So I believe the consensus is that using only the USB power it would not have enough power to run the mic. But If​ I
had the proper 5v power supply, the unit would have enough power to run the mic..

You are the only one saying there is a consensus.

That ^, I can understand but the failure to supply just ONE microphone with 4mA means the four XLR outputs could not even supply ONE mA each used together on bus power and that is crazy and useless! Love to get my hands on one but I can't justify spending 100quid on an AI I don't need on a whim.

But, do Behringer say phantom power can ONLY be used when on external 5volts? If so that is some (pretty feeble IMO!) excuse but they should make it very plain in their literature*.

I have mentioned that my KA6 has pretty poor phantom power delivery (and no ext power option, wish there was) but it WILL run two low drain, ~2mA SDCs!

* WHAT! Am I saying? Expecting BELLringers to be a responsible and upfront company!!

Dave.

Well with that new understanding of the OP's dilemma, a very common mistake is trying to use usb devices that need a lot of power out of a non powered hub that just can't provide the energy required for the item to function properly...

So next question JT is.....was the U-phoria connected to it's own independent usb out from the PC or was it connected to non powered hub?

My Line 6 UX8 bit the dust and I am currently just using the interface on my Yamaha MOX8 for recording but The U-phoria line has been on my radar ever since the UX8 died and when I finally get my room in order I do plan on buying one...Probably the 8 channel one.

" I do plan on buying one...Probably the 8 channel one. " TAE, might be worth an email to Behringer asking for the load data on the mic sockets?

In fact I think I shall have a crack at them myself!

Dave.

Back