Decent Audio Interface for Shure SM57

Who needs a MIDI input? Not me. :)

Me neither.

Both my current interfaces have MIDI and not once since I've owned them has anything been plugged into them. The last time I used MIDI was, from memory, 2001 and even then I was helping out somebody else rather than using it for my own stuff.

If you need MIDI, (as opposed to MIDI on USB) then make sure you buy a box that handles it--but it's far from a universal requirement.
(Ironically, I'd love to have a game port on my general use computer...so I could plug in my pedals and yoke for my flight sim programme!)

"(Ironically, I'd love to have a game port on my general use computer...so I could plug in my pedals and yoke for my flight sim programme!)"

If you have a spare PCI slot Bobbs look out for a Trust Optical Expert card. Not only gives you a gameport but also optical and co-ax S/PDIF.

But, since a gameport could be used for MIDI with the right cable, maybe there is a game to MIDI converter? Could ask those clever Kenton people?

http://www.trust.com/en/all-products/12950-51-surround-sound-card-sc5250

Dave.

Alas, no PCI ports...my general use PC is a laptop.

I don't think there will be a MIDI to joystick adaptor...the game part of the 15 pin D-Sub uses a lot more pins that are available on the MIDI 5 pin DIN. MIDI itself only uses one pin for TXD and one for RXD...and I think a VDC connection.

There are USB to Gameport adaptors but I've heard far more negative reports than positive so I'm loathe to waste my cash.

Ironically, the keyboard that I have plugged into my midi sounds so good that I always record it's voices direct instead of using the midi to VSTi route...Well, rarely, like when I need a cello or trombone (how often do you use them in rock music?). The piano and organ sounds in the CE220 are outstanding.

Alas, no PCI ports...my general use PC is a laptop.

I don't think there will be a MIDI to joystick adaptor...the game part of the 15 pin D-Sub uses a lot more pins that are available on the MIDI 5 pin DIN. MIDI itself only uses one pin for TXD and one for RXD...and I think a VDC connection.

There are USB to Gameport adaptors but I've heard far more negative reports than positive so I'm loathe to waste my cash.

Right! And I have read the same about USB to MIDI converters!

Er? And sorry Bobbs but DIN MIDI is a symmetrical (push pull) signal on pins 4 and 5, not referred to ground and is one way only per cable.

Dave.

Back