DAW for the poor

Drum sequencer

Thanks for the review. I've had a look at the reaper site but I couldn't find any mention of a drum sequencer. I'm just looking for a simple bit of software to record guitar, bass and vocals and programme a drum track to create recordings to give to my band before we go into a studio to record. Would you still recommend reaper for this?
Thanks.

Thanks for the review. I've had a look at the reaper site but I couldn't find any mention of a drum sequencer. I'm just looking for a simple bit of software to record guitar, bass and vocals and programme a drum track to create recordings to give to my band before we go into a studio to record. Would you still recommend reaper for this?
Thanks.

That is a full band recording.

Your biggest issue will be the drums. I haven't looked for free kits, but if you get EZ drummer for the drums, then use Reaper (or Band in the Box or ...) to track the Bass, Guitar and Vocals, it would set you up. EZ drummer you might want to wait for it to go on sale, but it will be a VSTi for just about any DAW, the rest is really sourcing and recording.

Thanks.

Yes I would. Absolutelly no problem about the guitar, bass and vocals recording. DAWs are for this. About programming drums it is just a matter of attach a VST drum machine such as EZDrummer or Addictive Drums (my favorite) to a Reaper MIDI track.

These drums are paid so if you don't want to spend cash and your purpose is just a demo for the band I would recommend to look for some free drums VST. You can find a bunch of them at VST 4 Free.

There is still this interesting free open source drum machine (to be used as a VST) called Hydrogen (Linux/Windows/Mac).

I use a slightly different method though. Instead to program my drums and all VST instruments directly on a MIDI track in Reaper I do all the stuff in FruityLoops (sequencer) and when I am happy with it I just export the tracks in MIDI format and import then into Reaper MIDI tracks. I do that because I think Reaper MIDI editor is too poor and I feel more comfortable doing it in FL. However I think that only for a rehearsal demo production you don't need all this hassle and can do things directly on Reaper.

If you are interested on try the sequencer approach mentioned above there is LMMS (Linux/Windows) that expressly suppose to be an open source (free) alternative for Fruity Loops.

:)

helpful post Yan, Im lookin for sometin simple ,effective and cheap..youve made my mind up, reaper it is ta!

Cool, I am glad that it have been useful for someone. I am a Reaper user myself and am more than happy with it. I am sure that you will have a very good time using it too.

There is still this interesting free open source drum machine (to be used as a VST) called Hydrogen (Linux/Windows/Mac).
(...)
When I looked on the Hydrogen download page, it was specific: the Windows download binaries were listed as "unstable". As in version 0.9.6alpha1 unstable...
it was developed as a Linux program from the word go. Good on them; we Windows Washers can't always get what we want.

This is the big risk when downloading open source. If it fails, if it bricks your computer, you're royally and quite thoroughly f***ed. Not even a toll-free number to 'press 1'.

I looked around and asked questions for a long time before committing to Reaper. I have to be careful; can't afford to log in at my friends' house and buy a new system.

I'm quite satisfied with Reaper's performance. Freeware VSTs all over the internet, and sweet utility plugins already in the system.
Besides, nobody really cares what you recorded on, if the song is totally slamming.

Last edited:
When I looked on the Hydrogen download page, it was specific: the Windows download binaries were listed as "unstable". As in version 0.9.6alpha1 unstable...
it was developed as a Linux program from the word go. Good on them; we Windows Washers can't always get what we want.

This is the big risk when downloading open source. If it fails, if it bricks your computer, you're royally and quite thoroughly f***ed. Not even a toll-free number to 'press 1'.
I think that you are not being fair with the open source community. There are thousands of open source software being enjoyed by millions of users and don't see people ranting about to be screwed by them.

Now about the fact that such community doesn't have a help-desk to rescue you if you get trapped in a dark alley that's a fact. But this is ineherent to mostly of freeware stuff. The word 'FREE' implies that you are by your own. Now if you are someone that freaks out about this then you should only think about use paid software. Although, on a side note, pay for a software is not a warranty that you wil have a 100% perfect product and that the company help-desk will help you as they promise. The post-sale is a completely different thing from the advertisement.

:D

But anyway... all in all I don't think that an unstable version of a program will destroy or lockup your whole system. I have installed all sort of shit in my computers in the latest 30 years and I never (ever) was victim of such apocalyptic event. The maximum that may happen is the 'unstable' app crashes all the time, you get pissed and just uninstall it. I don't think that it is a big deal. Also I don't think that as 'unstable' the developers are saying that it is a piece of shit, because if it would they even would put it there to be downloaded. I just think that they were decent on tell people that it may have some problems.

Anyway, this is the deal: the guys spent thousands of hours developing a nice software and are offering it for free. Now you want a free cool application but don't want even spend some time at least checking it? Well...

:p

I am using LMMS currently. Have been for about a couple of years now. Not a whole lot of VST compatibility but there's some pretty powerful ones that do work such as DSK & Synth 1.

I primarily use LMMS for its piano tool which I use to write the music and then use the plugins / sound library to get a rough idea of what I want the track to sound like. It definitely doesn't sound like shit but it just lacks some of that crisp polish. I'm sure if spend more time mastering the track and not be lazy, it could help :P

LMMS support has slowed down considerably though. I'd move to Reaper. I just love LMMS' layout and ease of use.

Back