DAW for the poor

YanKleber

Retired
Every now and then I see a thread asking about what are the 'best' DAW for begginers and such and there is a lot of professional tools out there suitable for this questioning. Being someone that lives in country where the wages has different parameters I can consider myself a 'guy-in-a-budget' so I will always look for cheap stuff that fulfill my needs. So when I am shopping for software and gadgets I rarely goes after something that is full of bells and whistles that I probably never will use. First because I prefer the stuff that goes directly to the point (simpler to use) and second because I don't want to pay for 'hocus-pocus' features or super-pro resources that my usage don't ask for.

Thinking about this, I made a quick research of what I called 'DAW for the poor' that focus specially in the price. They are cheap and even a teen living in a folks house bedroom or the weekend self-producer with a very limited amount to put on his hobby will be able to pay for. This is the perfect alternative for those that wants to keep out of the piracy software.

COCKOS REAPER
REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits

This is my very first option. I know about people that uses it professionaly, so it is for the poor but not only for the beginner. Talking about this, it may be not the best option for whose never played recording. I am a Reaper user and consider myself a begginer though, and it does OK for me. The advantage of this software, in my opinion, is that you can start fresh with it and as you grow in studio knowledge you won't have to switch to a different DAW. You can just stick with it. Let's talk about cost... it is only $60 either for personal as professional use (see their site for parameters), but the guys at Cockos has a peculiar approach about their product: you can download Reaper and try it literally forever for free. Yes, you read it right. the 'demo' version has all features unlocked and never will expire. The only thing is that any time you start the software it will popup a window reminding you that it is not free and that you should pay/register if you like it.

N-TRACK
n-Track Studio Multitrack Recording Software & Digital Audio Workstation

It was a pleasant surprise for me. It was the first DAW I tried in my whole life over 10 years ago. I sincerely thought that it didn't exist anymore but then I stumbled with it. It is definitively a beginners software. It is very simplificated but does the job. The problem is that if you are going to take the recording stuff seriously at certain point you WILL want to migrate to a professional tool. But if you are just engaged on hobby or self-production and don't have big expectations about to get into this business, it worthes a try specially for the price. You can download a demo version that will work for ten days and then after that you will have to buy it. Along the demo period it will annoy you with a 'sound watermark' that plays three notes every 50 seconds. The price? Cheap! It is only $19.99.

GARAGE BAND
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gar...WWW-NAUS-ITUHOME-NEWAPPLICATIONS&ign-mpt=uo=2

This is a DAW software for whose uses a Mac. Although the words 'poor' and 'mac' will toughly be found together in the same phrase, I decided to include it here because it is cheap, cheap, CHEAP! I am not a Mac user (I am poor!) but I have read that it normally already comes installed in the new Macs as a standard part of the package. If not, you can purchase it at Apple Store for as little as $15. It is really CHEAP.

MIXCRAFT (Mac)
Mixcraft 6 | Music Recording Software | Acoustica

The more expensive one in this list ($70) but still being a very good option. It has a very clean, intuitive and straight forward interface that allows you right in the first look to get what is going on. It is considered the 'PC version' of the Mac Garage Band DAW and one of its main glances is that you can really learn how to use it fast. Even if you never have used a DAW before, just install it and in very small time you will be recording your tunes.

A NOTE FOR LINUX USERS
What could be more cheap than absolutely free? So here we go with this that seems to be the ONLY free option for Linux till the date, contribution of our mate DM60. The DAW name is ARDOUR (https://ardour.org/) and as DM60 advised, though, it may not work with all USB AI. With his experience he did it with a Presonus AI but got no luck with the Tascam 1800. It may worst a shot for whose has a Linux running system.

For whose are brave at heart is always the chance of one of the Windows DAWs mentioned above to run with a little help of Wine. Being Reaper as light as it is I wouldn't be surprised if it would work nicely, but there is always the question of compatibility with the hardware. In all DAWs for Windows mentioned they should run OK with Asio4All driver. In the case of Linux running these applications within Wine, if I am not wrong the proper drive would be WineAsio. Not a Linux expert here though.

Well, that's it. I hope that it may be a good start for the ones that are completely lost into the DAW realm but specially has near to nothing in the wallet to spend on such software.

:)

Last edited:
I appreciate your comments and advice.....as to "bells and whistles"...one really never knows how his interests and tastes in music will develop and I am leery of getting something that is too simple and could possibly restrict creativity down the line as you gain more experience and branch out ....never though I would buy a keyboard...but just did for background effects, violins, orchestra sound etc......
Thanks for posting!

I think Ardour and Linux are still options, you have to first make sure your interface is full USB compliant. There are sites out there that have a list of interfaces that have been tested. I tried Linux and Ardour with a Presounus, worked perfect, tried it with a TASCAM 1800, no luck.

But the two are cheap. It runs on old hardware as well.

I think Ardour and Linux are still options, you have to first make sure your interface is full USB compliant. There are sites out there that have a list of interfaces that have been tested. I tried Linux and Ardour with a Presounus, worked perfect, tried it with a TASCAM 1800, no luck.

But the two are cheap. It runs on old hardware as well.

Thanks, DM60! I have added it in the main thread post!

I tried to make ardour/ubuntu work once but unfortunately very few interfaces have drivers for it. I believe the tascam us 800 was rumored to work with it probably because its not usb2? My apogee one worked with it great. Doesn't RME stuff usually work with linux? I don't think you can beat reaper for what it is. I used N-track back in the day as well as cool edit pro but reaper really can do just about anything you want. What more is that I even managed to get reaper to run on ubuntu through wine!

I would also like to add Studio One to the list. It has a free version that has some limited features but then you can upgrade as you go through the various stages. If you make it all the way to Pro you get a full legal copy of Melodyne with it which is worth the cash IMO.

Although I haven't used the free version I think the limitations are no importing mp3 files (has to be wav) and I don't think you can use 3rd party VST you can only use the ones they give you.

Still a good program though, I love it.

FYI: The NI KA6 DEFF works on Linux.
I loaned a guy on the SoS forum my box to try and he said it was fine and bought one!

Dave.

FYI: The NI KA6 DEFF works on Linux.
I loaned a guy on the SoS forum my box to try and he said it was fine and bought one!

Dave.

There is a list on the Ubuntu Studio site of known working interfaces. There are no drivers (there might be exceptions to the rule), it either works to the standard or it doesn't.

I agree Reaper is the defacto low price DAW, but I still think Ubuntu/Ardour is an option for those with little money and the right interface.

Yeah just stick to promoting Reaper as there's plenty of people using it and lots of online support from users. Can't say the same for Linux.

Reaper isn't just low priced, it's essentially free, and it works with everything forever and ever and will do anything.

It's also possible to buy unopened boxed software packages on eBay for much less than they still sell for new elsewhere. I got my copy of Sonar X2 Producer this way.

I doubt any poor musicians use Linux.

I am a poor dude using (Fedora) Linux in his home 'studio'. : Fedora Project Homepage
I may sound as a fanboy (maybe I am) but Linux is both free in price and free in what you can do with it. :
http://www.kernel.org/

You may modify, customize, sell, use, play with, ... Linux as much as you want rather than just 'use' it like proprietary software from Microsoft and Apple.
Linux is the 'core' where a couple of hundreds of OS's are based upon: DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

This is no real advertising as like I said it is free. => perfect for the poor guy his work :cool:

For whose are brave at heart is always the chance of one of the Windows DAWs mentioned above to run with a little help of Wine. Being Reaper as light as it is I wouldn't be surprised if it would work nicely, but there is always the question of compatibility with the hardware. In all DAWs for Windows mentioned they should run OK with Asio4All driver. In the case of Linux running these applications within Wine, if I am not wrong the proper drive would be WineAsio. Not a Linux expert here though.

I once used REAPER succesfully under wine in Linux with a driver called: 'wineasio'.
It is the only driver available for using Windows DAW on Linux as Windows drivers don't work in Linux.
But I use only Ardour now, it is not only free but also open-source.
I tried REAPER in Linux because like maybe 90% -just guessing- of all Linux users just like me used Windows at first but weren't satisfied enough.
It is still really buggy and sucks half of the time but integrates nicely in a Linux desktop environment.
I use MATE, there aere several out there like XFCE, Unity, LXDE, KDE, Gnome,... all those funny names, these are basically different desktops for your PC,
Windows and OS X both have one look, Linux almost never looks the same, unless you have a fresh install or something :)

I use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and it works 'out of the box' in probably all modern Linux desktops.
At least all I have tried it on.
I heard there used to be a lot of problems on OS X Mavericks and some on Windows,
but not really on Linux.

Not saying: switch to Linux.
Just saying: Linux is the greatest if you can handle it,
that is learning it like for a year (loads of command line interface work, at first it sounds scary but as a Linux user for more than 15 months it is sometimes faster working, like browsing trough a folder from time to time, using root (on Windows administrator) commands, etc...

Last edited:
Not saying: switch to Linux.
Just saying: Linux is the greatest if you can handle it,
that is learning it like for a year (loads of command line interface work, at first it sounds scary but as a Linux user for more than 15 months it is sometimes faster working, like browsing trough a folder from time to time, using root (on Windows administrator) commands, etc...

I am a Windows guy that tried to switch to Linux a few months ago and unfortunatelly wasn't too much well succeeded. After using XP for a decade or so I was really excited about Ubuntu but at the end I had to forgot it and just move to W7.

:(

Good to know that it works for a bunch of people though.

Back