DAW for low latency recording?

fig hesychastic

I have used audacity and to my knowledge there is no way to fix the issue from the preferences menu. I have also used Kristal audio engine, while using the ASIO4all driver, and it didn't make a difference to me.

What software can I use for low latency recording?

Last edited:
Cue Mix software. It isn't a DAW, but basically what it does is takes the track and makes a copy of it, eliminating latency. Some MOTU converters has Cue Mix built into them!!!! But have you tried lowering the buffer size? Is your computer powerful enough to handle lower latency?

daws do not correct or cause latency.

Latency = interaction of the soundcard hardware and its drivers.

A true asio souncard with asio drivers is what you want.
(asio4all on a stock 40-cent built-in sound only EMULATES asio low-latency operation)

Even a cheap $50 asio soundcard will eliminate latency.

Here's a good guide and user-tested suggestions that work: The Best Audio Interfaces for your Home Studio by TweakHeadz Lab
(you'll want to bookmark and read through all of Tweak's Guide while you're there...)

As Tim says, it's the hardware involved. The only way to truly eliminate latency is to keep your monitor path 100% analog. Some 2-channel interfaces do this, e.g. the original M-Box.

I regularly use a system with MOTU interfaces and I've experimented with Cue Mix. It's okay but not true zero latency. That system has a big analog board as the front end for tracking and all monitor mixing is done there with no latency.

Cue Mix software. It isn't a DAW, but basically what it does is takes the track and makes a copy of it, eliminating latency. Some MOTU converters has Cue Mix built into them!!!! But have you tried lowering the buffer size? Is your computer powerful enough to handle lower latency?

Which Motu interfaces, how do I find this out??

As Tim says, it's the hardware involved. The only way to truly eliminate latency is to keep your monitor path 100% analog. Some 2-channel interfaces do this, e.g. the original M-Box.

I regularly use a system with MOTU interfaces and I've experimented with Cue Mix. It's okay but not true zero latency. That system has a big analog board as the front end for tracking and all monitor mixing is done there with no latency.
Can you use an original M-Box with Logic on a Mac laptop (this.... http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PTMboxPro/ )??? Or is it intended for Pro-Tools?? What other interfaces have the "monitor path 100% analog" deal?? How do I tell so I can look for it myself?? I am looking into an interface myself...what was on my list was an Apogee Duet 2, Motu Audio Express, Motu 8pre, or a Motu Ultralight.

I basically need to be able to plug a modeler stereo in, guitar (hi-z) straight in, and stereo Monitors out.

Last edited:
Can you use an original M-Box with Logic on a Mac laptop (this.... Avid Mbox Pro (Mbox Pro - Hardware Only) | Sweetwater.com )??? Or is it intended for Pro-Tools?? What other interfaces have the "monitor path 100% analog" deal?? How do I tell so I can look for it myself?? I am looking into an interface myself...what was on my list was an Apogee Duet 2, Motu Audio Express, Motu 8pre, or a Motu Ultralight.

I basically need to be able to plug a modeler stereo in, guitar (hi-z) straight in, and stereo Monitors out.

Most DAWs will use most interfaces, even if they were made for Pro Tools.

If the interface has a simple knob on it controlling the balance between the playback and the inputs it's probably analog. If it comes with some sort of DSP monitor mixing application it's digital, and it is not true zero-latency though it may be low enough for your needs. Interfaces with more than two inputs generally don't offer analog monitoring.

This????;
Digidesign Mbox 2 USB Audio/MIDI Pro Tools LE Interface: Shop Pro Audio & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

And specifically WHAT OTHER models (for those of us that are retarded)??

Back