which Cubase should i buy?

jamie1981uk

Hi to everyone,

I have being writing and recording for many years and playing guitar for 25+ years.
I have used Cubase 5 and Cubase SX3 for a long time with Cubase SX3 been a personal favourite.

My current pc is Windows 64bit 16gb and AMD FX 8350.
and would like some advice of which of these to buy....

Cubase Pro 8 or Cubase Artist 8

There is a £200 difference and I don't want to buy one just because it may have better bells and whistles when the prior may be better.
Which of the above is close to what I have been using and what advantage to a average user would one have on the other.

I am wanting to get back to writing and recording full songs and my current programs I use are....

Amplitube 3
Addictive Drums
Akoustik Piano
Lots of VST plugins and programs for the keyboard.

Sadly I can only get a demo for Cubase pro 8 so I'm looking for some good advice from you guys.

Thank you for any advice given.

Jamie.

I don't think we can really advise - because when you look at the feature set from 8 Pro and Artist 8, only you can tell. I've upgraded over the years an have 8 Pro - but I use a mere fraction of the total facilities, but for me, the few that artist misses out are a deal breaker. That's the trouble with all the big heavyweights in audio and video, they start to get personal - pointed towards certain ways of working. Is the demo no good? It's time limited but full - are any of the extra features essential to you? If so, there's the answer? The list of programmes you use are totally different from me - I'm into a alternative sound set I suspect?

I don't think we can really advise - because when you look at the feature set from 8 Pro and Artist 8, only you can tell. I've upgraded over the years an have 8 Pro - but I use a mere fraction of the total facilities, but for me, the few that artist misses out are a deal breaker. That's the trouble with all the big heavyweights in audio and video, they start to get personal - pointed towards certain ways of working. Is the demo no good? It's time limited but full - are any of the extra features essential to you? If so, there's the answer.
^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^

But, having just finally upgraded from SX3 to 7.5 not but a few months ago (still haven't gone 8 yet) I can say that I chose the full version, not Artist, simply because it had all of the bells and whistles. Just like SX3 did when I bought it over the other versions available at that time. I, like Rob, probably don't scratch the surface of what the program is capable of doing but when looking at Artist v Full version, Artist left certain things out that I do use and did not want to leave out. Spend a little time on Steinberg's website comparing the two programs and what they include, 5 minutes of that was all it took to make my mind up.

That is some good advice Pikingrin,
Because you have gone from Cubase SX3 you may be able to answer something that may sway me.

Does Artist 8 have all the features and similar layout as Cubase SX3?
The way I'm looking at the moment is,
If Artist 8 is everything and more than what Cubase SX3 is, then would I really miss the features that Cubase Pro 8 offers if I never actually used them in the first place?

I know the upgrade would be a option but I don't like the fact thet Steinberg does not give more options to buy previous version on their website.
I would be more tempted with Cubase 7 if that was the case.

Just take a look at the info HERE for a little more info. Like I said, I am still running Cubase 7.5.x and have not made the jump to 8 so I'm not sure what all they have changed/upgraded. I can say that the learning curve from SX3 to 7.5 was not really that difficult as the GUI is relatively the same. The number one determining factor for me was the fact that there are unlimited tracks available. It doesn't happen often but there have been times that I have ended up with an off-the-wall project with over the 64 audio tracks available in Artist; the MIDI track counts are not as much of a concern for me as they might be to others. From what was explained to me, which could have been total BS (but I was already on board to purchase the full version so it didn't matter), the automation functionality is improved with the "Pro" version over the Artist version. But, like I said, that could be complete and total BS. Check out the list of features in that link and see if there is anything there that you can't live without.

Back