Cubase MIDI Mixdown issue!

No More Wolves

Hello again!

I successfully created a midi track using Cubase and wanted to save it as an .mp3 to send to a friend. However, I read that I cannot simply save this as anything, that I must, and I quote:

"record all your MIDI music to Audio Tracks (by connecting the outputs of your MIDI instruments to your audio inputs and recording, as with any other sound source)."

So, being the newb I am, can someone put that in stupid-speak for me? I'm using a Keystation 49e midi controller for the midi and a PODxt for the audio side. So, going by that statement, I'm supposed to hook up the output of my MIDI, which is my soundcard, to the input of my audio, which is the PODxt. Am I wrong? Am I just not understanding something?

This recording business is so vexing-- I'm not used to being new and helpless, ha! Thanks in advance!

Someone will probably come on and shoot me down in flames, but in the absence of any other answers, try this. I'm sure this is what I did in Cubase a couple of years ago. You arm an audio track to record, play your recorded midi track while recording onto the audio track, and hey presto - it's recorded as audio which you can then obviously export as required.

If that doesn't work, then I'm sorry, I'll get my coat.

I am not familiar with cubase, being a logic user. However, I expect there are similarities. Here are two techniques:

1 play your midi track and feed its audio back into whatever you are using to mix with. Record this as a new stereo track in cubase.

2 you can try as lasagne suggested, but there is an extra step that may be required. With my soundcard I can specify where the input tracks get their source from . usually its the line inputs, but i can specify SPDIF, and when I do this, I can record directly onto a stereo track internally (i.e. i don't go back thourgh the mixer).

1. Make sure the output of your midi track is directed to the appropriate sound module or VST instrument

2. Solo the midi track

3. Choose "Export --> Audio Mixdown," In the popup box to export, there should be a checkbox that says something like "reimport to audio track" -->click that. Name your export and click ok. The midi track should render as audio and be reimported at the bottom of your project. The exported track will also be saved in whatever folder you designated at export.

How exactly do I know which output is appropriate? Since I record audio via the PODxt, should I route my MIDI output to the PODxt? I've been trying that to no avail. I've tried playing the MIDI file and simultaneously hitting record on a new audio file-- also, to no avail.

If anyone does have an answer, you'll have to give it to me in small, easy-to-decipher words, because I'm about as simple as they come. o_O

You set the output of the MIDI track to the software instrument not to an output on the interface. Then the instrument sends audio to the outputs.

MIDI track ->---->--->-->software instrument--->---->--->audio outs.

You either need to use a physical patch cable from the output of your interface to the input, and record it as if you were recording something from a mic, or use scrub's method that he outlined. Either way should work.

Last edited:
Back