Cubase is just....

dragoon1575

Hello people of HR, I just got started on this whole home recording thing actually and well I played with Audacity for quite awhile which has been nice to me but I was also given Cubase with my equipment that I got. So of course if I had something better I use that right? Problem is I can't.

When I start recording in cubase everything is pretty okay except for one thing. Although there is input and my vocals are being recorded, I am not able to hear any playback. Before anybody asks yes I made sure to turn on and off the monitor button to see if anything went wrong, I also made sure my volumes were up and most of the common things.

The thing I noticed is my output, I use a MG10XU mixer and the inputs are MG-XU -1 and 2 and well so are my outputs. I get nothing from the phones on my mixer and when I unplug my mixer and it defaults to the generic low latency Asio driver for the laptop I can hear it properly as it playsback through the speaker.In Audacity I left my speaker as the output and input as the line from my mixer.

The few problems/questions I have are: Since my output is also MG-XU-1 and 2 where is the sound coming out from? Next question, is there a solution to this, like somehow leaving the MG-XU-1 and 2 as the input and somehow the speakers as output? Or perhaps is there some problem with my set up? Any suggestions would be appreciated, Cubase is just driving me mad now!

Yeah, I checked it's the correct and up to date driver. Just wondering, in my VST connections my outputs are the same as the inputs. Is it supposed to be like that?

Just downloaded the user manual for the mixer from Yamaha.

Well done Yams' for producing the first, to my knowledge, 24 bit "budget" USB mixer!

But BIG bollocking for the cheap, 2 sheet, fold out user manual. It's a .pdf DOWNLOAD FCS! Costs you sod all PAPER to make a proper manual!

Anyhoosits, there is quite a section at the bottom about USB monitoring and it is specific to that mixer so without "hands on" it is difficult to advise.
Yamaha own Steinberg/Cubase now so it beggars belief that the hardware does not work with that software. Read that section, it'll be right.

Dave.

Make sure you have configured the main outputs in cubase to go to the outputs you are trying to listen to on the interface/mixer.

The digital spec of your mixer is rather basic, I'm afraid. Have you found the USB selector on channel 9/10? This is how you monitor the computer output. When you look at the connections settings in Cubase, you should see the Yamaha listed in the inputs tab, and the outputs tab. The mixer output goes to the computer where it can be recorded, and when you replay, pressing the switch on channel 9/10 lets you hear what cubase has on it's output bus. Be careful that you don't create a loop, sending this back to cubase. It's pretty easy to accidentally do this and all hell breaks loose. To be honest it's damn awkward to work this way - but if you use the channel 10 input and output routing you can do most things - like recording one input to the computer while listening to the computer fed into a stereo input via analogue. You use the monitor bus to select what gets recorded, or it can send the stereo mix. It's a fudge, but just a bit of a head-fart to get to grips with.

Thanks for all the replies! Finally got it to work, thanks rob! Turns out it really was the usb selector on channel 9/10! Finally can get down to some recording on Cubase, again thanks a lot!

Back