Cubase 5 problem

Marko Andonovsk

Hello, i saw from a friend that he uses cubase 5 (+ guitar rig 5) to record his guitar and add effects (without an audio interface) and it sounds pretty good in my opinion.
I have tried the same thing, got cubase 5 and guitar rig 5, installed ASIO4ALL, selected it from VST Audio System menu, but there seems to be input problem, i dont get any soundwaves nor anything. here are some pictures.cb3.JPGcb2.JPGcub1.JPG
The only inputs i can select are : in at front panel 1 and 2 and not conected, thats all
Any help would be appreciated :wtf:

AFAIK Cubase will only work with proper ASIO drivers. I suggest you ask in the Cubase section.

Why no interface? Cubase is a bit of a faff to setup at the best of times, having crap PC circuits in there is asking for trouble IMHO.

Cubase 5 is very old and I have read of issues even with 7/8 and Windows 10.

Dave.

Have you tried from the middle pic under the ASIO 4 ALL V2 there's a Control panel try investigations in there?,, Also on the left of pic 3 in the Devices box, just above the selected Asio4all there's VST Audio System look in there as well?,,If I remember right you don't want the Full Duplex driver in pic 3? :rolleyes:

Cubase is simply telling you that with the hardware of your system, and the driver installed - it thinks there are two audio inputs - which there usually are on almost every computer - probably one of those 3.5mm jacks, often on the front, but usually on the back. These are connected to around £5 worth of electronics and are brilliant for plugging in a headset, and talking to people. For music, however, most suck! The computer's audio output is usually a bit better, but often with very quiet buzzes and the moving sound of data running around the computer. Designed for headset mics, the audio ins are normally horrible - high levels of hiss and noise and no use for anything low in level like mics and guitars. Just about OK for plugging in an iPod or something.

Cubase expects to see a proper audio interface that can do the job properly. Your problem is nothing to do with Cubase. if you bought the latest one, the screen is almost identical.

If you buy a modest priced audio interface, you get proper mic connectors on XLR, usually phantom power for better mics and depending on what you buy, more ins and outs. 2 in and 2 out, however is perfectly workable for most people to start with.

The question for me is to do with the dongle - few modern computers have parallel connectors now, so the fact it's running suggests it's a cracked copy, and while many of these sort of worked, they were usually cracked by people who weren't musicians, so Cubase had a habit of crashing when you tried to do very simple musical things - like look at a score or list edit - it would check for the dongle, not find one and fall over. Cubase 5 is really old in computer terms, so I'm surprised you got it working properly. Cubase has moved on vastly - VSTi is so embedded now that effects, plugins and gizmos are everywhere. Cubase 5 can record and replay and do a few things, but it's like buying an old VHS camcorder on ebay - it takes pictures, and if you're Steven Speilberg, you can make good movies on anything. If you're not in that class, Cubase 5 won't help you, but just make you frustrated. I'd buy one of the latest cut down modern versions.

+1 to Rob and if you wanted a budget suggestion the way to go IMHO is the Steinberg UR22 which comes with a modern 'lite' version of Cubase, probably AS good as that old C5!

We, son and I were give a cracked version of Cubase (knew FA then, did not even know what 'dongle' was!) about 8 years ago. Never did get it running properly and that was with a very decent 2496 sound card. Eventually got son Elements 6 and he was as a swine in excrement with that. Personally Cubase hurts my brain but it IS the Dog's Danglers for MIDI.

Dave.

My first Cubase was on an Atari 530 computer and in black and white but with the first screen that looks like modern windows with Icons! The essentials are still with us 20 years later. Cubase is NOT the best, but it's the best for me. All the other platforms have their fans, and they work similarly in the big brands, with just a few going off on a different path - but the critical thing is that they do what you want. Like Photoshop, they're not easy to master, and there are still things in so many menus I have never ever clicked on. That's the point really - if MIDI is you interest, the ways to manipulate it are amazing. The scoring function of Cubase have never been as good as say Sibelius, but Sibelius is a rubbish sequencer. Most basic functions you pick up quickly, but some of the cleverer ones take real effort - as does most decent sophisticated software. Dave says about the free version you get with some interfaces - Excellent. The guy I work with has one of these cut down versions, and what he creates I can then improve on on Cubase 9 - the one I'm currently on. There are only two of us in the business, and the two of us are similar and different, and both can happily use Cubase, and when the other gets a bit stuck, I'll probably know the answer and vice versa.

Ooo! Just seen that I (think) can upgrade El6 to El9 for 24 quid!

I might just do that for my birthday. Rob, do you know if I could still use my El 6 dongle? Obviously the security software would need updating.

As I say, I don't find Cubase easy, Samplitude man, but I would like a 'modern' DAW and in any case I shall probably HAVE to get Win 10 eventually?
Give me something to play with over the coming winter.

Dave.

Back