Crackling noise from speakers

Vegamad

Hi, can anyone suggest what may be the cause or can suggest what I need to look at first. I'm running a Yamaha AW16G through a Samson amp and into monitor speakers. I'm getting a crackling noise from both speakers which can go away for maybe 20 - 30 seconds then returns for 10 seconds or so.This happens regardless of what I'm doing. Sliders don't seem to cause it or knob turning either. It still crackles when I'm doing nothing although the master fader has to be up for anything to come through the speaker. This has just started out of the blue after having worked perfectly for several years. Any help or ideas gratefully received. Thank you.

Something in the amp's system - a component or solder point going bad. Assume your monitor speakers are not powered? Have another amp you can try?

Sounds to me like a clocking error, like the unit is set to clock from an external source but there isn't one connected.

Crackling

Thanks for your quick reply. I have my computer connected through the same amp and speakers and when I play something from the 'puter there's no crackling at all. I think it's looking like the Yamaha AW16G is the problem. Do you agree? I don't think it will be the leads from the multitrack to the amp as it seems very unlikely that both have suddenly gone at the same time.

Hi, Thanks for you quick reply. I've never used the clocking function, ever. The crackling does sound like a bad connection somewhere. It's not just crackling but also pops and bangs. I was hoping changing a lead somewhere could solve it but it's looking more like it's the multitrack recorder.

Thanks for your quick reply. I have my computer connected through the same amp and speakers and when I play something from the 'puter there's no crackling at all. I think it's looking like the Yamaha AW16G is the problem. Do you agree? I don't think it will be the leads from the multitrack to the amp as it seems very unlikely that both have suddenly gone at the same time.

Yes, in that case its what's going into the amp, not the amp.

All great suggestion so far!

I know with crackling or popping sounds that have to do with powered speakers or amplification it can sometimes be a bad ground loop.

If you haven't already try distributing the power to all 3 separately and not overloading power bars and such, not saying you are but just something to look out for and a possible multiple choice elimination step.

Good luck,

Regards

Back