Crackling

Muffin

So I've been doing some digital recording on my desktop computer. It's a dell, and 5 years old, and that's all I know about it. I know very little about computers other then their functions. I'll admit that it is not a very good computer but it's all I've got.

Last night I had recorded a number of tracks and started adding effects, EQ and compression. I played back my song and noticed some crackling in the audio(during a light single guitar part) once the whole band comes in it all goes crap. It lags and skips and almost seems to freeze.

I'm assuming the obvious that it's something with my computer that can't seem to handle all those tracks being played at once.

What would be causing this issue? Is there something that needs to be upgraded?

Not only do you NEEEED a mac but you need more ram. If your not using a mac to record then your wasting your time

pahison - that's not very helpful and completely untrue. If you're not going to provide useful advice in the Newbies section, then why don't you bugger off somewhere else, after all, you've only been here for a few days. No-one will miss you, I promise.

Muffin - I don't record on a PC (or a Mac) so can't really comment, and I'm sure someone who does will be along shortly to help, but it sounds to me like you need more processing power one way or the other - I believe plug-in effects chew up lots of CPU power and so that's probably your major problem - a few plugs ins and lots of tracks and the poor old thing is probably beat..

Can you post some specs of your PC and recording (chip / RAM / what software you're using to do this / how many tracks / what plug ins) to help those who do know what they're talking about point you in the right direction.

Thanks

Not only do you NEEEED a mac but you need more ram. If your not using a mac to record then your wasting your time

Ha ha ha Mac Guys, very funny. A computer is just a plastic and metal box full of circuit boards and processors, the computer does not know what brand it is. If they are spec-ed correctly, the software is installed correctly and there is not operator error they all do the job.

Granted windows is frustrating, but if you want a computer for recording, leave off all the other software, games, internet, etc etc and do not install virus protection, turn off automatic updates and all the other rubbish you don't need for recording and windows works fine.

Yes, I use Macs, windows PCs, and even an old Atari's (for old midi stuff) and they all have good things and bad things but all work.

And finally, the problem is that the computer is too old and slow and its time to get a new one, and use the old one for the internet.

Cheers

Alan.

At 5 years old, yes the computer is probably too slow for decent recording, but the main cause of the bad sound is the soundcard. Get a USB (assume your Dell does not have firewire) interface, which will take over the soundcard duties. You can always use this device with your next computer.

At 5 years old, yes the computer is probably too slow for decent recording, but the main cause of the bad sound is the soundcard. Get a USB (assume your Dell does not have firewire) interface, which will take over the soundcard duties. You can always use this device with your next computer.

I had a firewire card installed and I use a presonus firestudio.

Can you post some specs of your PC and recording (chip / RAM / what software you're using to do this / how many tracks / what plug ins) to help those who do know what they're talking about point you in the right direction.
Thanks

As I stated in my first post, I know VERY little about computers, haha. I wouldn't know how to get the chip/ram info for you guys.
I'm using Cubase LE 4, 20 tracks all together and VST dynamics using compression and limiting.

don't listen to idiot man about the mac thing. i do prefer mac, but it's really a preference thing... and more importantly, what's being played into it.

either way... your problem sounds memory related... you need at least 2 gigs of memory and a fast processor. what'cha got?

s

don't listen to idiot man about the mac thing. i do prefer mac, but it's really a preference thing... and more importantly, what's being played into it.

either way... your problem sounds memory related... you need at least 2 gigs of memory and a fast processor. what'cha got?

s

How do I find out? Can someone give me a step by step guide to get this information for you guys?

Right click on My Computer, Click Properties. It'll tell you on the General tab under System! (I'm assuming you're on XP but all windows versions will tell you there ;) )

Thanks for that Mr. Clean!

Dell Dimension DIM3000
Intel(R)
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
2.99GHz, 512 MB of RAM

it sounds like you are running out of CPU processing power There are a few things to try:

1) go to http://www.blackviper.com/ and follow the instructions to turn off all the background processes you don't need. This will free up some system resources

2) If you have antivirus software on your machine turn it off when doing audio stuff

3) if you have any USB stuff other than mouse, keyboard and iLok plugged in unplug them when doing music stuff.

4) depending on how comfortable with computers you are you can also turn of the LAN/modem and disable anything that automatically updates over the internet (assuming this computer is online)

This will possibly free up a little extra system resources.

Now if you software allows it do a "Track Freeze" of the tracks that are using a lot of plugins. this will temporarily render these tracks to WAV files and play them back as WAVs rather than trying to real time process all those VST plugins which will use less CPU processing.

IF you are using a lot of soft synths adding more RAM may help assuming that the system is not already maxed out (And with a 5 year old Dell 512MB may be as good as it gets)

You could also try increasing the buffer size during playback that could help too

A new computer of any brand/flavor is always nice but if not on the cards now these may help you get a little more performance out of an old workhorse.

Thanks for the info there guys! So would it be wise to buy a 2gb ram?

i think i'll let someone else pipe up here to be sure. don't go by what i say because i don't use a PC and don't really know if that's a long term solution. in my opinion, i would say it would solve the problem for now, but it might not be the permanent solution.

i wouldn't go with what i have to say about this... i'm just responding because i posted something else about it... but honestly, i don't know if that's the problem for sure. ...i was saying the thing about the memory because when i lept into the millennium by recording to computer, i was told to MAKE SURE I GET AT LEAST 2 GIGS OF RAM.

anyone who uses a pc want to help out here?

s

Latency

Hi Muffin,

One thing to try is to increase the latency of your firewire card. There should be a tray icon for your Presonus Firewire interface.

Increasing the latency to the maximum should only slightly increase the delay when working in Cubase , but it will allow you to run a lot more tracks and plugins before you hear clicking and popping in the playback.

Thanks for the info there guys! So would it be wise to buy a 2gb ram?

Before you run out and do that, try what was suggested in the posts above since that costs you nothing and may well help then if you still want more RAM, first verify if the motherboard can use 2GB of RAM, on an older machine that may not be possible.

Also verify what kind of RAM (DDR, DDR2 and DDR3 are all different) and at what speed does it need to run For example DDR 400 or DDR2 800. Verify that the RAM sticks only require standard voltage (should be 1.8v for a non overclockable DELL) and timings are what your machine can run. Finally what is the PIN configuration.
Get any of that wrong and you've just wasted your time and money

Then verify that the RAM is single or dual channel. If Dual channel buy in groups of 2 sticks to get the optimal dual channel performance. ie for 2 GB buy 2 x 1GB sticks, not 1 stick of 2GB. If single channel then 1 stick will give fractionally better latency but depending on the limitation of the motherboard you may still need to buy pairs if the board can't handle a single stick of 2GB RAM

Generally if upgrading RAM I won't add to what's already there. Take out the old stuff and just replace, that way you never have issues of mis matched RAM speeds, timings, voltages etc etc etc which can lead to a whole nightmare of blue screens

Man who said this computer stuff was easy. If this is all greek to you you may be better off calling Dell and buying RAM from them based on their knowledge of your computer even though they over charge like hell for RAM

Thanks for that Mr. Clean!

Dell Dimension DIM3000
Intel(R)
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
2.99GHz, 512 MB of RAM

20 tracks and 512MB of Ram?? Yikes. Also, you're running plugs on all or most of your tracks. Yup, need to add more ram. Your processor is fine. A 3ghz Pentium can handle the load easily if you're not running many VSTi's (virtual instruments, samples, etc).

With 20 tracks, you're also going to be looking at your hard drive as a possible bottleneck. The faster the rotation speed, the more tracks you can process.

Here's a link or three to explain computer optimization:

http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ts/detail.php?Index=30058

http://www.moozek.com/2008/08/21/definite-guide-to-windows-xp-tweaking-for-audio/

http://www.steinberg.net/en/support/steinberg_support_daw.html

Also, if you need to know what kind of ram you should buy, use this program to tell you what you have already so you can match.

http://download.cnet.com/PC-Wizard-2010/3000-2094_4-10793737.html

Back