Cost for mastering

Hi:
If I want my R & B songs in an album (10 songs total, 60 minutes total time) mastered, in what price range am I expected to pay for such work? Any ideas?

Thanks.
Patrick

I might know a place I could suggest if you're looking... :thumbs up:

But yeah, rate-wise, it goes everywhere from damn near nothing (and you usually get what you pay for in that case) up through that "mid-range" of $50-ish to $100-ish per, all the way up to thousands and thousands for the whole thing.

Gateway Mastering just did a couple songs for a client of mine. It was $300 per song.

And I was really impressed how much better the result was than my 'in studio' masters. Much more clear and dynamic oddly enough... I use FF L and FF Q on my master bus. Evidently the analog outboard gear worked better. Or just the fact that they do this for a living while I just guess after hearing a song 1000 times while recording/mixing makes a difference.

Glad Greg L isn't here anymore to say soundmen and mastering engineers are worthless. He was totally wrong in that biased opinion. There is much to be said about a talented outside ear with great gear/monitoring that makes a huge difference.

I will likely be contacting you soon John as my client can't afford the $300 per song for the rest of the 28 song project. He just wanted to try a Grammy award winning mastering house for his songs that we find most able to hit the charts. Shooting video Monday for one of the tunes for initial release.

I suppose I should be PM'g you about this huh? lol

:)

Last edited:
Back