CoolEdit multitrack drift problem

craf

Ok I'm new and I've been checking for answers on here for days and still can't fix this, so I decided to ask.

First off, I know CoolEdit 2.0 is ancient, but it has always worked for me in the past so stay with me and see if you can figure this out:

I recently moved and obviously brought my recording setup with me, the same setup I have been using the same exact way for years. Same computer, same audio interface, same soundcard, same everything, even the same powerstrip everything plugs into. I never had any issue in CoolEdit, I could always just start up and record with no problems. However, ever since I moved here whenever I go to record the blocks in the multitrack drift as soon as I hit stop when I'm done recording. I've tried the "correct for drift" (the "correct for start sync" was always on by default), and it didn't help. The only thing I did notice was when I turn off the "correct for start sync" the blocks DON'T drift, but then when played back they sound out of sync.

Literally the only thing different about my setup now is a different wall outlet because I am in a different building, so I don't understand how this is possible.

I've been searching everywhere for a solution, but everywhere I look it's someone saying they are having issues with a new soundcard/audio interface, and that's not the case with me, I am using all of the same hardware and software as I was when everything worked fine. Is it possible for a wall outlet to cause this??? Can ANYONE help me?

Have you changed project settings anywhere, perhaps by accident? For example, if you started in 44.1khz sample rate and changed to 48 khz at some point, and your DAW is set to adjust the WAV files to stretch with tempo, it will screw up you sync enough to notice drift after 10-20 seconds, and be totally off by the end of the song.

I had an issue once with system instability (not the same problem but...) and after a few day I had finally realized I had somehow accidentally selected "Use 1 Processor" instead of "Use 2 Processors" in my system setting (no idea how!) and it was causing my sessions with greater than 16 tracks of audio to completely sh!t the bed during playback/mixing.

Look deep into settings and try seeing if all the technical "stuff" looks right (bit depth, processors, sample rates, buffer sizes...).

Back