Cool Edit Pro 2 audio card

tonydean

Hi

I'm new to this and I wondered if someone could advise me the best sound card for self recording. I have windows 10 and I would prefer a soundblaster sound card but I do not know which one to use.
I will be loading pre made backing tracks and recording a vocal line over this. I am ok with the operation of CEP and the settings etc. I have this new PC and its proving not the same as my previous one which had a soundblaster and was XP.
I have no play what you here position on the inbuilt card.
Please can someone advise me on this.

Tonydean

Hi Tony,

You mention 'vocals' and that means a microphone and THAT means a mic pre amp and I don't think SB cards cater for mics? (or if they do they will be really cheap crap on a 3.5mm Jack, but see * later)

You really need an Audio Interface and there is a vast range, most connected by USB. I can recommend two. The Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 of which I have had personal experience, have suggested it to many people and have never had a bad report back. The Zoom UAC-2 is said to be an excellent device as well. There are many others, some $100 or so cheaper and many are very good, e.g. the Steinberg UR22.

Give us a budget and an idea of what you want to do, I did not quite grasp it?

*There is a range of cheap mics, the 'BM-800' is one such, that are actually quite good into a 3.5mm card mic jack but I would still go the AI and decent mic route.

Dave.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back