Converter to word clock generator connection

cursto

Hello,
Please help me wrap my head around how my AD/DA converter is connected to my word clock generator. My converter has word clock in and out with BNC connectors. My word clock generator has word clock in and 6 word clock out via BNC connectors. I have the word clock out from my converter connected to word clock in on the word clock generator. I have one word clock out from the generator connected to word clock in on the converter. All connections are using 75ohm cable with BNC connectors. On my Lucid converter, I have selected WORD as external sync. Any external sync disables internal clock. It sounds awesome, but my ? is the word clock generator acting as master clock and driving the AD/DA converter?
Thanks in advance.

What's the reason for having the word clock generator (what unit are you using) feeding the converter?

Is there another piece of gear that the WC generator is also feeding, thus locking the two units in sync, or is it feeding just the one converter?

If it is just the converter....disconnect the WC generator, and don't use it.

I agree with Miroslave. If you just have a single item, forget the generator and just let the AD/DA work on it's internal generator.

If there's some reason you must use the external generator, don't create the loop you have by feeding from your converter to the generator and back again. Just feed from one of the generator outputs to the input of the converter and let it go at that.

I agree with Miroslave. If you just have a single item, forget the generator and just let the AD/DA work on it's internal generator.

If there's some reason you must use the external generator, don't create the loop you have by feeding from your converter to the generator and back again. Just feed from one of the generator outputs to the input of the converter and let it go at that.

Thanks. That is how I have it running now. I did not realize that the word clock generator will send a signal as a stand alone unit.

What we are saying is...you don't even need to use the WC generator if it's just to drive a single converter.

Let the converter clock itself.

Just disconnect the wordclock generator and set the AD/DA to internal clock.

External wordclocks are only necessary with big setups with multiple digital devices. There is no objective sonic advantage to external clocking of a single device.

Just disconnect the wordclock generator and set the AD/DA to internal clock.

External wordclocks are only necessary with big setups with multiple digital devices. There is no objective sonic advantage to external clocking of a single device.

For the record, even with multiple devices, I get away without an external wordclock--I sync four or five devices by just selection one device as master and feeding to the others via BNC "T" pieces with the appropriate termination at the end. Best practice? Probably not--but it's been working glitch free for almost 10 years. A proper external wordclock generator with multiple outputs has been on my wish list for that whole ten years but it's low enough down that it keeps getting pushed out by new mics, new headphones, a new computer, etc. etc.!

Back