Connecting a ModMic 4.0 via usb.

Tostitostelli

Hello there, and thnx for reading this:)

I bought a ModMic 4.0, and i was wondering how I could hook it up to my computer via usb?
The normal mic in ports on my PC are broken, so I need an alternative.
I know this is probably basic knowledge for most of you, but i'm stumped.
Basicly I want to get the best out of this little boom-mic, without having to use the Realtech stuff inside my computer.

Hope you guys can help^_^:D

If you want to avoid the Realtech, you will need an audio interface. Just about any will do, since this does not use phantom power. You will need one of THESE to adapt to XLR and any of a dozen interfaces, the cheapest of which would be the Behringer Uphoria UM2 or the Lexicon Alpha (either is $50). Then plug your mike into the inputs, plug your speakers in to the outputs and you've bypassed the Realtech. You can actually disable it at that point.

Hello there, and thnx for reading this:)

I bought a ModMic 4.0, and i was wondering how I could hook it up to my computer via usb?
The normal mic in ports on my PC are broken, so I need an alternative.
I know this is probably basic knowledge for most of you, but i'm stumped.
Basicly I want to get the best out of this little boom-mic, without having to use the Realtech stuff inside my computer.

Hope you guys can help^_^:D

What are you hoping to do with this mic?
If it's just to replace internal sound for low quality conversation or game chat you can get a cheap POS USB jobby like this.

If it's for anything more serious, look up. :)

Ah thanks, so I need an audio interface and an XLR adapter?
Do I need to have the audio out also used by this audio interface? Because I have a Mayflower O2/Odac connected for audio out(Sennheisser HD650 headphones).

I plan to attach the ModMic to my headphones, and use it for gaming, general conversation. Certainly no music recording or anything like that. But I still like to have as less background noise as possible. (Mic is noise cancellated from the back, not omni directional, with surrounding ''popfilter'').

Ah thanks, so I need an audio interface and an XLR adapter.
Do I need to have the audio out also used by this audio interface? Because I have a Mayflower O2/Odac connected for audio out(Sennheisser HD650 headphones).

Yes, it's generally good practice to let one device handle inputs and outputs.
In many, or most, cases you can't do anything else.

Thanks for all the replies. I think ill get a cheapo adapter like suggested, just to see if it will work with the Mayflower headphone amp.

Back