Connecting a dbx preamp/processor to an audio interface

DJGJUK

Hi,

I have posted on here before but a very long time ago so apologies for posting in the newbies forum.

I do voiceover work as well as podcast and radio production and my current set up is as follows: condenser mic > dbx 286S preamp/processor > mixer > PC running latest version of Windows 10.

However, for the work I now do, I consider the mixer is a bit too much overkill so I want to replace it in the signal chain with an audio interface.

The Focusrite Scarlett series looks good and affordable but I've read that there were driver issues with Windows 10. Is this still the case, and can anyone recommend other interfaces that I can explore?

Many thanks.

[Heavily edited as original post info was incorrect and arcaxis resolved one of my original issues.]

Last edited:
I don't recall an 'XLR' output on my 286S and I just use a 1/4" TRS to 1/4" TRS (balanced connection) to connect to a line input on my interface. Most 'budget' interfaces don't have the ability to 'bypass' the preamps, such as the Focusrite. Focusrite states their preamps are fairly transparent for the line inputs (no experience with their interfaces). With levels set correctly (gain staging) you won't have any distortion.

I don't recall an 'XLR' output on my 286S and I just use a 1/4" TRS to 1/4" TRS (balanced connection) to connect to a line input on my interface. Most 'budget' interfaces don't have the ability to 'bypass' the preamps, such as the Focusrite. Focusrite states their preamps are fairly transparent for the line inputs (no experience with their interfaces). With levels set correctly (gain staging) you won't have any distortion.

Thanks very much, Mark. You are, of course, quite right - its a 1/4" output from the dbx. I've had this set up for quite a while, didn't look at the outputs before posting and just assumed it would be an XLR. Your reply makes perfect sense and I shall amend my original post accordingly. Thanks again.

Last edited:
I doubt you will have any trouble with the latest "Gen ll" versions of the F'rites but if you wanted a truly pre amp bypassing AI my Top Reccy still stands, the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6.

Yes, the front Combi XLR line inputs ARE attenuated into the mic pres but the 3/4 extra balanced line inputs are not.
I know (got both and tested it) the AI works fine with W10 (and any other OS on the planet AFAICT!) and you will have zero trouble with the cooking stove drivers.

(NI? Where's my fekkin' cheque?!!)

Dave.

I doubt you will have any trouble with the latest "Gen ll" versions of the F'rites but if you wanted a truly pre amp bypassing AI my Top Reccy still stands, the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6.

Yes, the front Combi XLR line inputs ARE attenuated into the mic pres but the 3/4 extra balanced line inputs are not.
I know (got both and tested it) the AI works fine with W10 (and any other OS on the planet AFAICT!) and you will have zero trouble with the cooking stove drivers.

(NI? Where's my fekkin' cheque?!!)

Dave.

Thanks very much, Dave. I wasn't aware of this one until you pointed it out but it's now definitely on the list. Brilliant. :)

Back