CONFUSED: Starting out recording. I am doing something wrong.

funneverends

Hey everyone, let me first say thank you for taking the time to answer this noob. This is my first thread and hopefully will be making more as I begin to learn about home recording.

So what I currently have right now:
1. A macbook pro 2017 with a usb c Hub
2. A Yamaha PSR e363
3. A focusrite Scarlett solo 2nd generation
4. A Samson C01
5. Logic Pro X as my DAW
6. XLR Cable
7. Printer cable (from keyboard to MacBook)
8. An ATH-M40x headphones connected straight to the MacBook Pro

Ok for starting out I just tried to record a simple piano chord progression and vocals on top of it.
What I did was connect the keyboard to the MacBook via the printer cable. I created a new midi instrument track, then set the digital keyboard as input and the built in output as the output. And I pressed R and it recorded just fine.

Then I added new AUDIO track for vocals. The samson microphones are connected to the focusrite via xlr cable. And set the focusrite as the input, and built in output as the output. I could hear my voice through the headphones... BUT Its not recorded on THIS track. Instead I can see my voice being detected in the FIRST track (from the volume bar). AND I can't seem to hear the FIRST track keyboard parts as well... What am I doing wrong here?

An extra question... I tried using a guitar cable (such a noob i forgot what they're called) from the keyboard output straight to the input of Scarlett solo interface, but apparently no sound came (I already flipped the switch to INST instead of mic line). Is this not possible?

Thanks everyone. :):):)

Last edited:
Howdy :D

Just guessing.. UN-enable Record on the first track, then ENable Record on the second track. There may be more to it (routing IN/OUT stuff in preferences) , but make sure of this first.

Yeah, the second track was enabled to record and the first one was not. Yet the volume bar shows the voice being picked up by my microphone is detected on the first track. When i press record, it records on the 2nd track but no sound.

And theres the problem where i cant hear the piano part i recorded in the first track as well.

"An extra question... I tried using a guitar cable (such a noob i forgot what they're called) from the keyboard output straight to the input of Scarlett solo interface, but apparently no sound came (I already flipped the switch to INST instead of mic line). Is this not possible?"

Err? ^ AFAICT there IS no audio (line) output from the E363? Did you mean the headphone output? If so, probably won't work as the cable would need to be stereo (called TRS, git'leads is TS) .

Now, I know nothing of macs nor Logic Pro but that kbd does send audio via USB. It is stereo 16bits and I do know that macs can support multiple USB audio devices (but have NO clue how!). Almost certainly the AI will have to be set for 16 bits as well as the same sample rate as the Yammy, 48kHz?

Or, if you can solder you can make a breakout/splitter box for the headphone feed. I am sure our resident mac men will be along soon.

Dave.

On a Mac you can create an Aggregate device that contains more than one audio device. There are videos and help around on how to do that, so you might want to consider doing that to reduce the switching of devices. I'm a bit confused about the MIDI part - TBH I don't know if you actually need to create an Aggregate for that - seems like I have not done that for my little keyboard...

I would set up your system and Logic Pro to use the Focusrite as the output device all the time and leave it there. Or, if you do create an aggregate device, make sure the output is routed to the Focusrite. Then keep the headphones plugged in there and use that for everything, i.e., even audio from the computer when you're not using Logic.

Using the headphone out to the Focusrite would work but you'd want a stereo-mono cable or adapter to collapse the LR from the keyboard to a mono signal and plug into the 1/4" jack with the switch on LINE.

With the Focusrite, you'll need to always make sure the track you want to record is enabled (R button lit up) and other tracks you don't want to record over are not, since you've only got one input. Make sure the track you want to record on is highlighted in Logic and you should see the level meters move in that track only, and in the master out.

Thanks ecc83, ill look into buying a TRS cable.

Thanks keith.rogers, very useful! It works now, i just used my keyboard as a midi keyboard for software instrument track. Although i cant seem to get sound from the headphones if its plugged into the scarlett, it still comes out of the laptop's speakers. So i use the 3mm headphone jack on the computer straight through my headphones instead.

Additional question... Im hearing static on my headphones, is this normal? It doesn't affect the recording though but its quite annoying.

I don't know Logic at all, but I would think it is similar to all the other DAWs out there.

First, to use the Solo as your mic interface, you should select it as both input and output. I guess you do this somewhere in the Mac O/S and not within Logic. This way you will hear the previously recorded piano track in your headphones while you record vocals.

To record your mic input to track 2, you need to select Input channel 1. You said you selected the Focusrite as the input, but you didn't say which channel. The mic is channel 1.

In Logic, the track you create, track 2 in your case, should be a MONO track because the mic is a mono source.

The Yamaha kybrd requires a special computer driver to allow you to record audio from it. You can't use the headphones out because it is a stereo output and the Focusrite solo is a mono input. Even with the recommended TRS cable. Without the audio driver, you keyboard is an expensive midi controller. But that's fine, it still has speakers to allow you to play and practice. And it has a sequencer which is nice. AND, there is a plethora of great VSTi's to choose from that you can use the keyboard to control.

Hope this helps.

An ATH-M40x headphones connected straight to the MacBook Pro...
...the built in output as the output. And I pressed R and it recorded just fine.

Hi,
You don't need an aggregate device as you're using the keyboard for midi, and only have one audio device.
If you were using the keyboard for audio over usb, aggregate device would be the way forward.

You should make sure that logic is using only the Scarlett inputs and outputs for audio,
and your headphones should be permanently connected to the Scarlett headphone output

If you have your logic outputs set to Scarlett 1+2 and don't hear anything through your headphones, then it may be that main output/headphone mirroring isn't enabled by default.
Does the Scarlett have its own control panel where you could check this?

Not sure if Direct Monitoring(on) prevents system playback on that Scarlett.
Unlikely, but set Direct Monitoring to off, just to be sure.

Dave didn't mean buy a TRS cable - he meant that your keyboard only has a stereo output, but the interface is expecting a mono, two conductor input - on a two circuit, tip/sleeve only plug. The TRS output has one channel on the tip, one on the ring, and the ground return on the sleeve - it's possible that all the interface is getting is the tip and ring, and the return is missing - so no sound. Ideally you need to make up a special cable, but this inevitably shorts the left and right output. I've done this with no damage to the stereo output on the keyboard - I suspect because they design them to be able to manage this - but it's not normal practice.

You've got lots of brand new skills to master here - progress will be slow so persevere. With all music software you need to cope with routing. I don't use Logic but Cubase and it's the same. One section to select the audio interface (and on my Macbook the audio inout often switches back to the internal mic!) and make sure your external interface is connected, then another section to switch where the input goes to, then in another window, which input and output you want from the specific track highlighted - plus if it's a midi track, and it's source, or an audio source. Get any of these wrong and you record empty tracks. Cubase even has a record button on each track that usually works automatically, but sometimes you can switch this off by accident, PLUS it also has another button to turn on monitoring that channel - does Logic have the same?

Thanks Rob. Yes, it is a common mix up, TRS/TS/stereo/balanced input and often results in no signal, just one channel or other problems.

The situation is resolved by building a 'breakout box', TRS (stereo) in and 2 TS (mono) outs to feed the two line inputs of the AI.

Now noobs are often resistant/treefied about dabbling with soldering and "electronics" but such passive devices are easily within the skils of anyone who can drive a car or cook bacon and eggs. Learning some basic electricals can get you going when the shops are shut and save you money.

Dave.

1) No need to build a breakout box or do anything fancy to get keyboard audio into the AI. Use an adapter like this one: Amazon.com: Hosa GPP-419 Female TS 1/4-Inch to Male TRS 1/4-Inch Adapter: Musical Instruments and a standard TS-TS guitar cable.

2) Set the AUDIO input and output of the DAW to the AI, and plug your headphones into it, not the computer's headphone output.

Mike, that adaptor plug will just pickup the tip (prob left) signal and short the ring to sleeve* which probably won't hurt anything but you never know!

No, OP does not need to build a BOB (just how my brain works!) he could buy a TRS to 2xTS splitter cable which is what I expected that link to show?

*Ah, might short tip and ring = mono, still not a good idea.

Dave

I wholeheartedly agree with any suggestion about learning some basic diy/electrical skills
but...

There's no need for an analog audio solution here.

OP can record midi and have that full flexibility,
or he can record stereo audio over USB.

Since the interface only has one line input, any analog approach is going to be mono one side, mono summed, or a total mess.

OP, Decide if you want to go midi or audio with that keyboard and, if it's audio, create an aggregate of the keyboard and scarlett.
Take built in audio 100% out of the loop, and then you'll be on the right path. :)

I wholeheartedly agree with any suggestion about learning some basic diy/electrical skills
but...

There's no need for an analog audio solution here.

OP can record midi and have that full flexibility,
or he can record stereo audio over USB.

Since the interface only has one line input, any analog approach is going to be mono one side, mono summed, or a total mess.

OP, Decide if you want to go midi or audio with that keyboard and, if it's audio, create an aggregate of the keyboard and scarlett.
Take built in audio 100% out of the loop, and then you'll be on the right path. :)

Agree with all that S but. You will know of course that I am very keen on MIDI! However, that will not give the OP the actual sounds in his synth. Mind you WTGR, the e363 is only a ~£150 keyboard so I don't suppose it sounds THAT amazing? Almost certainly better software sounds around.

Dave.

Personally I'd go midi for the extra control and ability to change sound libraries, and that's where the OP went first,
but yes you're right; Need to confirm what OP wants first. :)

Thanks everyone! Reading all your advice and im here thinking what an idiot I've been.

So i changed the audio input output to the scarlett on logic and on the mac, that worked magic and everything is now coming out of the headphones plugged into the scarlett.

I was so narrow minded thinking a piano sound, should come as an audio from the keyboard! But... Using it as midi and using the sound library grand piano sounds so much better and yes im experimenting with the vast sound library, and now im overwhelmed and thinking "wow, making music is much more complicated than i thought it would be".

Thanks everyone! Reading all your advice and im here thinking what an idiot I've been.

So i changed the audio input output to the scarlett on logic and on the mac, that worked magic and everything is now coming out of the headphones plugged into the scarlett.

I was so narrow minded thinking a piano sound, should come as an audio from the keyboard! But... Using it as midi and using the sound library grand piano sounds so much better and yes im experimenting with the vast sound library, and now im overwhelmed and thinking "wow, making music is much more complicated than i thought it would be".

Super! NOW try the demo of Modartt's Pianoteq. I am pretty sure it runs with macs?

Dave.

But... Using it as midi and using the sound library grand piano sounds so much better and yes im experimenting with the vast sound library, and now im overwhelmed and thinking "wow, making music is much more complicated than i thought it would be".

There is so much out there for VSTi's, it is just incredible what you can do with a midi keyboard. There are a lot of freebie's that sound great. Then there are the paid VSTi's that sound awesome. Lot's of options for you.

Glad to hear you got it all going.

Back