Computer purchase

NashCat

I am going to buy a computer for the first time. I've always had access to one and never really needed my own but now I want to do some recording, as well as surf the internet, keep records, etc.

I like to buy a computer that I can use for both recording and personal use. I have read some of the posts on this forum and quite frankly most of it confuses me. What should I get in the way of hardware which will do the job for me. I really don't want to spend more than $2500, excluding sound card and music software. I have used a Gateway and I like that line pretty well and I also think Dell makes a pretty good product.

Any suggestions?

Well I'd sugest building one yourself but considering your current experience... it would require a lot of reading but the pros might still out the cons. (consider I built the machine in front of me for $2000... it's actually worth about $4000.) I saved a bundle using http://www.pricewatch.com/ (I saved 1500 dollars on a video board... I do graphics and am just getting into this sound stuff.)

You don't want a consumer box. (ie: gateway).
1. They cheat you.
2. They are DESIGNED to go out of date fast.
3. They are consumer machines, not for what you want. They are geared for games and other stuff.

Dells are nice, Hewlwett Packards are nice (again, NOT the consumer types) also and along with your SGIs and other development workstations.

I would suggest getting a machine custom built for you, at a smaller local, reputable computer store (or if you feel comfortable doing it, built it yourself). This allows you to select each component used in the system, ensuring high quality all around.

For example, I might recommend a setup like this, based on what I've used in the past:

Processor - Intel 500MHz PPGA Celeron, with a slot 1 PPGA Adapter (so you can upgrade to PIII when the prices become more reasonable)Mainboard - ASUS P2B-F (or others of equal quality, ABIT is ok, Microstar)

Hard Drive - Quantum KA 9.1GB 7200 RPM ATA/66 for audio only. Quantum CR 6.4 for App's games etc.

CD-ROM - Samsung, Mitsumi 32X or 40X

Sound Card - Something for general app's, games like a creative/ensonic PCI

Floppy Drive - whatever

Video Card - Again depends on what you do, if your into games, I would suggest the
Diamond V770 32MB AGP, otherwise a decent 4 or 8MB AGP is fine - ATI, S3.

Case - Get a decent one, In-Win, Elan Vital.

Memory - At least 128MB PC-100.

Monitor - Decent 17", ADI Microscan 5G or 5P's are great.

Up to around $1750 Canadian Dollars + or -, so far.

Leaving you around $750 to put towards a good quality recording soundcard and software. If your $2500 budget is in U.S. $, you have even more. May even consider a SCSI Drive for Audio, and an IDE for your general app's. Possibly even a PIII 500 instead of the Celeron.

Emeric.

friends ,

listen to what they said about consumer computers... i bought my compaq ( yikes )new in dec. and wondered how i was getting such a good deal... but it was my first computer so i was a lil nieve... he told me amd k6 is a pentium clone and that it was the same thing... HAHAHAHA... but anyway.. i got into computers , and then audio recording..so i decided to try to upgrade my computer... keyword = try ... besides having no internal bays for another hard drive , and no external 5 1/4 for a cd - r ..( things i didnt know to look for when i bought the puter )i have 1 pci slot and 2 available irqs... hmmnn... not much upgrading happening here... i decided to build my own computer thats 3 times as fast and fully upgradeable for half what this one cost me... and ill know more about my computer than most people...because i built it myself..

sorry for the epic.. but id hate to see someone make the same mistakes i did..

- eddie -

Well, Emeric described a good system for you, however, with the Asus p2bf you won't be able to take advantage of the ATA/66 capability of the harddrive. I would suggest the ABIT BE6 which is basically the BX6 rev.2 Mainboard with the UDMA 66 controllers onboard allowing you to run the hard drive at twice the speed, 66 mhz instead of 33. This also frees up another IDE spot. Getting a computer at a local dealer is also a good idea. That way if you have any problems you will have local support availible.

Do not forget to consider Apple G3 towers. excellent audio/video workstations. Image rendering unsurpased in Wintel land, and easier to adapt to a professional level.

Back