compressor and mixer with no inserts

jonbongjovi

Hay guys,

So I'm trying to setup my compressor with my mixer but since it doesn't have inserts i'm not sure what is my best option.

1) plug it into the 3-4 Alt outputs? but then how do i sidechain?

2) plug into a send-return aux bus? but since i have only 2 send/returns kind of want to keep so i have a choice of FX sends

3) just plug in to the the main outs..disadvantage here is everything out will be compressed, i'd rather compress to taste/apply as needed..

I've watched a few youtube videos most ppl either seem to have mixer with an insert or just use a send..

cheers,
Jon

just my own home studio, recording synths and outboard samplers. would also like the option to apply the outboard compressor on ITB tracks from my daw.

Most basic compressor plugins outperform most typical analog compressors. That said, if you want to use it with your DAW it's best to have at least four outputs on your interface. Two will be the usual monitor outs and the others could feed outboard gear. You just have to figure out the routing from the DAW and back, and sort the monitoring of the compressed tracks.

Synths and samplers may have enough output to use the compressor in series. Connect the output of the keyboard or module to the compressor input(s), connect the compressor output(s) to the mixer. It may be that you have to run the threshold down more than usual to get it to compress, and you may get more noise from the compressor than if you fed it full line level, but it's worth a try. You can also put the compressor on the main out of the mixer in some cases.

Back