compression in guitar signal chain

damianhk

first time using reaper's distortion and amps for guitar. I have a room sound (reverbate?), an amp and distortion. I also want to compress. what should the signal chain look like? I don't want to experiment if i don't have to. Right now, my signal chain is 1)distortion 2)amp 3)verbate 4)compression

If it's amp reverb (e.g., spring), then I'd put it before the compression. Room reverb I always do on a separate bus and send whatever amount sounds right from the track, so there it's after.

While i'm here, what's a good average for gain reduction? When the red bar dips down to -db, what should that look like? I know it's taste, but maybe i can get a general starting point.

While i'm here, what's a good average for gain reduction? When the red bar dips down to -db, what should that look like? I know it's taste, but maybe i can get a general starting point.
Rather than change the topic, you might want to post this question in the Reaper or more appropriate forum. (I'm not sure what you mean, so guessing it's Reaper specific? If it's about compression, then maybe Recording Techniques or ?)

I usually put a compressor pedal earlier in the chain, especially if there's any distortion or overdrive.

Last edited:
I also want to compress.

Why?

I mean...do you have a specific reason, or just because...?
I ask this because you don't seem to be clear on when/how/why to use a compressor, yet feel the need to use one....???

AFA settings...there's no one best way...and you really have to hear and understand how the comp is working to know what setting is best for a given situation....but then, you state you don't want to experiment... :D ...which is exactly what you should be doing until you get a handle on when/how/why to use compression.

And I wouldn't stick a comp after reverb...but you should really take some time to try things out so you can find out why.

You might get better use out of compressing the guitar bus, as a whole, rather than the one individual guitar in the mix. But, I have no idea what your session sounds like or what you're going for. Also, distorted guitars are pretty squashed to hell to begin with. Look at the waveform of the thing and see for yourself.

If you do decide to use comp, you might try somewhere around 2-3db reduction, just in general terms. It may need none, it may help to have a few db's off, or it may help to be massively flattened, depending on the song and the guitar's purpose. In most cases, though, it really isn't needed.

I see no reason for compression on electric guitars, unless its super clean and dynamic, or an acoustic guitar. In those cases, comp would be first in the chain.
Orherwise any kind of electric with any amount of distortion or overdrive on it will 'self-compress' anyway.

Post a sample of the guitar tone.

'Distortion' is a vague term. The amount of distortion would be directly relative to how I would approach it. Not knowing what the track sounds like, it is impossible to give advice.

Usually amp sims with distortion are the last ones I would use a compressor on, but that is also a vague statement as a clean tone with say a distortion sim pedal may still have dynamics that could use some squeezey.

Again, post up a sample. :)

I agree that it really depends on what you're starting with and what you're going for. Way back when I was "playing" guitar and experimenting with pedals I did find times when I wanted compression along with distortion. It always sounded better with the compressor first. It's possibly from guitars with poor sustain to begin with, but the distortion sounded better when compression extended the sustain into the distortion.

Is the purpose of compression for some sonic benefit or for dynamics control?
Are amps involved or is this virtual guitar amps? Just asking because with a good tube amp and good guitar, I've never had a 'need' for compression. Now bass, that's a different story. Lots of compression used there.

I recorded direct in (guitar straight to recorder). I won't do it again. The signal is all over the place. I agree, an amp takes care of all that. I am experimenting now.

I agree with the others that you need to decide what your goal is for the comp before you know where or how to use it. Btw with dist you can add a lot of floor noise.

I recorded direct in (guitar straight to recorder). I won't do it again. The signal is all over the place. I agree, an amp takes care of all that. I am experimenting now.

Your amp sim should take care of it in the same way as a real amp.
Ordinarily you'd have no way of knowing what the dry guitar signal looks like at the amp's input, so don't assume you have to break out tools and fixes just because you're getting a peek behind the curtain. ;)

Your amp sim should take care of it in the same way as a real amp.
Yep! I actually typed that yesterday, but then didn't bother to post. If you were plugged into an amp, you'd just turn the knobs til you got something you could work with. Do that with the sim.

Compression before the amp/distortion will of course change the way that distortion reacts - probably making it more consistent overall. Compression after probably won't do much useful, or at least how much real effect it has will be inversely proportional to the amount of distortion you've got happening.

that's it, compressing before distortion. It made a huge difference. I had to turn the distortion down 50% after placing the compressor before it. That saved me lots of trouble. I'll learn from it, but will probably go back to the old way after this, and not record clean guitar straight in and try to shape it later.

Back