Completely lost - HELP

Sehala

I go back to the days of 2" tape but have recently formed a duo with a friend. We want to record ... I have a Behringer UB1204 mixing desk and I am using that to control input into my computer a 6 core processor on an Asus MB with an Asus Xonar d1 soundcard. The mains hum is making it impossible to actually record and there is a delay when using Sony Acid 10. I have tried using outputs from the desk to the card and also using XLR to USB connections.

This is all totally new for me as I recorded in the past in a studio where everything worked. Am I wasting my time now or is there a fix that I can achieve easily.

HELP HELP HELP

I take it you are running this through your computer's sound card input? I don't see a way USB or firewire connection. If this is the case, that is your first problem. You should look at USB (probably best bet) or if your computer has it, Firewire interface. Probably two channel would be all you need.

Top recommendations Presonus, Focusrite, M-Audio, Tascam. Make sure it has ASIO drivers and would receomend it has pre-amps, but since you have a mixer, not really required.

Hope this gets you started.

What's an ASIO driver? Seriously I really am starting at the VERY bottom here ... I have equipment I use to play but as for the technical stuff I'm at a loss. In the 70's and 80's it was easy ... save up and pay someone. Now I am semi retired and I want to get back into recording. I always played but this hobby is now something I want to do, but sadly it's on a tight budget.
I see things on my desk like +48V and have no idea what they do ... that's how bad it is.

Now, if you want to know about structures ... LOL

I'll move this thread to the Newbies section where it belongs.

Welcome to the site Sehala.

What's an ASIO driver? Seriously I really am starting at the VERY bottom here ... I have equipment I use to play but as for the technical stuff I'm at a loss. In the 70's and 80's it was easy ... save up and pay someone. Now I am semi retired and I want to get back into recording. I always played but this hobby is now something I want to do, but sadly it's on a tight budget.
I see things on my desk like +48V and have no idea what they do ... that's how bad it is.

Then go to the Newbies forum, where you should have posted this, and read everything. Then google what you don't know, and read some more. It's a long, long path if you're going to have to ask someone every question in your head and then sort through their responses to work out which ones are correct.

In particular read the thread there about mixers and home recording and audio interfaces.

Get the book Home Recording for Musicians for Dummies by Jeff Strong. It'll explain everything in one neat read-through, then you have some ground to start formulating a plan of attack. And you'll know what 48v and ASIO means. :)

I'll lay a couple of specific models on you Sehala.

The Focusrite 8i6* and the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6.

Both these interfaces have two excellent pre amps but moreover they also have two more "line" inputs that will take the stereo/2channel feed from the mixer. This would give you four discrete recorded tracks. The mixer pair could for instance be a stereo mix of a drum kit?

They also both have MIDI ports which, if you do not know about now, you will be glad to have them in year's time I am certain!

Both interfaces are in the £200/$300 area so just get the band to lay off the booze&fags for a week.
*That model number might now be discontinued but F'rite still make a 2 mic+2 line input AI. There are of course many AI models equal to and better than those suggested but they will not do you wrong and you would need to move to $1000+ models to get better and I still doubt you would hear it!

Dave.

You seem to have multiple problems and you need to strip it all down and reconnect but by bit until you discover the problem. So you have a small mixer, and this is connected to an amp and speakers? When you plug a mic in, it works fine and there is no hum? If there is hum at this stage, with nothing else connected, you need to sort it. This hasn't changed since your 2" days.

Next step is to get the computer and interface working without the connection to the mixer. Asus make computers, not quality audio gear. With headphones plugged in, what does it sound like playing back music? At this point you then connect the computer to the mixer, and it's usually now when all he'll breaks loose. Computers often have real issues with connection. The simplest cure is to use a DI box which then is connected to the mixer with mic level connection and the option of lifting the electrical ground, isolating the computer from mixer. This is usually a partial cure. The asus sound card will probably be poor, so most people use external audio interfaces made by people like M-Audio or Lexicon and loads of others, designed to do it properly, in stereo and multitrack modes.

If you follow the steps above you'll be able to report back and we can suggest more.

To reiterate what has alrady been said, read this thread first. Although you have recording expereince, computer recording uses very different tools. Then get an audio interface, put hte behr mixing desk to the side, you are not likley to really need it at this stage. Plug mics/instruments into the AI, as well as your monitors and headphones.

Welcome! Are you pulling any hair out yet? :)
It gets easier. Your initial setup is going to be your first hurdle. Mike and David are right on the money. Get an AI and maybe download Reaper or some other DAW that appeals. Hook in some good mics and monitors and get comfortable with what you've got. Won't be an overnight fix, but you're not alone. We're here to help! Maybe start by recording a few covers just to get comfortable with how the process works before trying the important stuff. This will help get the frustrations out without getting frustrated with what's important (your music.)
Good Luck! :D

BTW, when you say six core machine, I assume AMD. I have had a lot of trouble with bleed noise from AMDs. Hoping that's not part of the problem you're having. Even went to an 8 core and could still hear the mouse moving in the monitors (I use a trackball because it's quieter than a mouse.) Anyway, if you can hear hard drive hits and mouse movements/screen changes in your monitors, it's likely the CPU. I've tried a custom built 6100, an HP 6300, and a 8350 I built myself, just to be sure it was done right. Haven't heard of a go-round for that problem besides swapping mb/cpu for an i5 setup. That solves it every time. Bums me out, because I've been an AMD fan since my first 386-40 circa '91.

BTW, when you say six core machine, I assume AMD. I have had a lot of trouble with bleed noise from AMDs. Hoping that's not part of the problem you're having. Even went to an 8 core and could still hear the mouse moving in the monitors (I use a trackball because it's quieter than a mouse.) Anyway, if you can hear hard drive hits and mouse movements/screen changes in your monitors, it's likely the CPU. I've tried a custom built 6100, an HP 6300, and a 8350 I built myself, just to be sure it was done right. Haven't heard of a go-round for that problem besides swapping mb/cpu for an i5 setup. That solves it every time. Bums me out, because I've been an AMD fan since my first 386-40 circa '91.

I don't know how a chip is going to give you bleed. You are having other issues. I am using AMD chips on both computers, using a Presonus USB and M-Audio PCI card, and I have had no issues. Your issue has to be somewhere else.

I have had a lot of trouble with bleed noise from AMDs. .....

It's not the CPU that makes the noise.

could still hear the mouse moving in the monitors (I use a trackball because it's quieter than a mouse.)

That is from your USB port. If the port is part of the motherboard, then it's your motherboard and poor shielding. If it's a separate USB card, then it's the card and poor shielding.

Anyway, if you can hear hard drive hits and mouse movements/screen changes in your monitors, it's likely the CPU.

Absolutely not true. It's poor shielding on your motherboard.

I don't know how a chip is going to give you bleed. You are having other issues. I am using AMD chips on both computers, using a Presonus USB and M-Audio PCI card, and I have had no issues. Your issue has to be somewhere else.

Three completely different machines. Three different CPUs. Three different sets of speakers (have used my Rokit (5s at the time) Bose Companions and Pioneer home speakers through QSC). Same result. The only constant was my M-Audio.

Maybe I should look into replacing the interface! :eek:
Except changing the motherboard and CPU fixed the problem.

That is from your USB port. If the port is part of the motherboard, then it's your motherboard and poor shielding. If it's a separate USB card, then it's the card and poor shielding.

Also makes noise when the screen changes (vid signal bleed) with three different video cards (2 ati's 1 nvidia).
Also makes noise when the hard drive hits (little bleep bleeps that bleed through when the HD light flashes).
All this on all different machines. I thought it was the chip, because problem solved with an i5 and mb. (same interface, same speakers, same drives, same memory.)

All brilliant guys. I have spent the day reading all bout stuff I need to do. I think the audio interface looks like the next stage. then perhaps a soundcard of quality. Need to start saving! I can sort out the recording stuff once I get the hardware right, and we have started doing that.

All brilliant guys. I have spent the day reading all bout stuff I need to do. I think the audio interface looks like the next stage. then perhaps a soundcard of quality. Need to start saving! I can sort out the recording stuff once I get the hardware right, and we have started doing that.

You won't need the soundcard if you have an audio interface. The audio interface will act as your soundcard.

One thing else to say: It is pretty cheap to get started, but in the long run if you want to put out quality music it will take an investment.

Have fun and enjoy the ride. Be sure to post up some songs when you get something going.

Back