Cheap decent setup for streaming.

Cats_Paw

Hi guys,
I have been checking some okish mics for voice recording (streaming gaming mostly, nothing fancy), and i stummbled upon the audio technica 2020 that seems to be rather cheap and efficient.
My question is regarding usb vs XLR.
Am I correct to assume that usb would sound worse than a XLR with a cheap audio interface?
If so, are audio interfaces going to record in a certain format or are they just inputs for the sound in windows? I ask because I have no idea on how to set up streaming with an audio interface (you need drivers for an audio interface or?).

My main reason to go XLR instead of usb is to not give the CPU more load in form of USB reading but rather let the sound card do the work (is that what would happen or am I totally off track?).

I will also want to be able to mix the sound from my PC (the game sounds) + the things that are recorded by the MIC. I assume for that you need another program rather than another audio interface, correct?
Impatiently waiting for your answers,
You friendly Cat.

I'm too tired to be able to go in depth on software and the xlr vs. usb debate but I can chime in.

My sister bought me a Blue Yeti for my birthday recently.
It's a USB mic, and it's pretty incredible. Definitely better than some standard XLR mic/interface combos I've used over the years (I'm looking at you Behringer, and Tascam :) ).

I have to do a ton of voiceovers for work (that's what I've actually been doing tonight!) and hated having to lug around stands, cables, pop filters, interfaces, etc. just to record a 5 or 10 minute voice-over for reviews or tutorials. This thing has been a savior. It's got an impressive headphone output as well. Obvious downside? only 16-bit.

Now I'm losing my train of thought because my eyelids are getting heavier.

TL;DR - $130 blue yeti > $50 mic & $50 interface

I heard that blue yeti requires a rather quiet environment since it picks up most of the ambient noise.
Can you confirm or deny this? (When you get some sleep that is).

All props to Kidkage and his experience but, a FIFTY DOLLAR interface?

The cheapest AI I know of worth buying is the Alesis iO2 and that is around £70 here, $100ish? I have one and although I don't use it I have checked it out and it seems pretty good. Forum feedback also gives it a decent reccy.

I would set your sights a bit higher tho', Steinberg UR22. Noted to have very clean mic pre amps which is moot to our next point. You are correct in saying that capacitor mics are sensitive and, because you generally cannot get very close to them, they CAN pick up extraneous noise. They also pick up more "room" than a close talking mic (dynamic but could be a SDC with a pad).

The major drawback of USB mics is also the lack of choice. You buy the mic and converters all in one lump and so cannot try any other mics, nor can you record any other source such as an electric guitar or the electrical output of a Pod, CD player, whatever.

Yes, the internal sound card of the PC is best avoided (disable it in BIOS if you can). Do not worry about the "hit" on the PC of a USB interface, It was only jeeesut a concern ten years ago, any modern computer will hiss all over two tracks at 44.1kHz or tons more!

Yes you will need some software to sort things. Audacity would probably do, Reaper certainly but the UR22 comes with a "lite" Cubase, bit of a learning curve but definitely fit for purpose. But then I don't do any of this "Podding" lark so there might be some very good, very cheap or free software about?

Kidkage also mentions "16 bits". In this context it is of no matter. Linear 16bit .wav is vastly better than the compressed TOOOB stuff!

Where in the world are you Cat?

Dave.

I live in Poland, and I can definitly get the steinberg UR22 (assuming its an improvement over the 2i2).
On the bit side, unimportant. We are talking about voice recording, eventually background music for when im cooking, and it will still be compressed for the stream so the quality wont be very high anyway.

In Poland the UR22 is slightly more expensive than the scarlett, and at the shop where Im gonna go in 5 minutes they have both the mic and the scarlett.
The UR22 I would have to order via mail. (increased problems if I wish to return it).
\The real question is if it will work fine. if thats the case, its enough. (I read somewhere that scarlett drivers had some problems in the past with multiple inputs, i hope this has been fixed by now).

In Poland the UR22 is slightly more expensive than the scarlett, and at the shop where Im gonna go in 5 minutes they have both the mic and the scarlett.
The UR22 I would have to order via mail. (increased problems if I wish to return it).
\The real question is if it will work fine. if thats the case, its enough. (I read somewhere that scarlett drivers had some problems in the past with multiple inputs, i hope this has been fixed by now).

Ok that's fine. If the 2i2 is the best deal for you go for it. As for driver issues? If you read enough reports EVERY fekkin' AI ever made has apparently glitched for some bugger!

I very much doubt you will have any problems. I have an 8i6 (S/H £100) and that is fine.

Dave.

I'm going to chime in for the Yamaha AG 03- made for streaming- convenient computer loopback level controls etc... big slider for the mic... a little more expensive though.

All props to Kidkage and his experience but, a FIFTY DOLLAR interface?

The cheapest AI I know of worth buying is the Alesis iO2 and that is around £70 here, $100ish? I have one and although I don't use it I have checked it out and it seems pretty good. Forum feedback also gives it a decent reccy.

Kidkage also mentions "16 bits". In this context it is of no matter. Linear 16bit .wav is vastly better than the compressed TOOOB stuff!

Yep, allow me to elaborate - $50 interfaces are bad :D
Your budget is important. I just meant to use the ~$100 as an example since a lot of people just have a budget in mind and try to fit whatever gear they can into that. The 16bit is just a downside I've found with it since all my actual recording projects are in 24-bit. So, say, if I wanted to use the Yeti as a drum mic or sample with it, etc. it wouldn't fit into my usual workflow.

It's a good mic, I'm impressed with it for video voiceovers, but the right XLR/interface combo is obviously superior.
The only thing is that if you're just looking to have a mic for voiceovers it might be a bit excessive to go out and

Damn, didnt notice I need an XLR cable and a tripod for the mic :D.
Well Ill have to check those now.

buy a mic, a cable, a mic stand, an interface, and a pop filter. It wouldn't be a bad investment, but just not something that would benefit your work more than just buying a USB mic.

Also, I've had a UR22 and Scarlett 2i2 sent to me (full disclosure) and really liked both of them.
Don't think you could go wrong with either.

I'm a gamer, as are most of my friends. One of my best friends has a gaming channel and recently upgraded to a Blue Snowball ICE

He's not into pro audio or recording or the like, but I think his audio quality is great.

Ok K! I understand.

And the 16bit thing was more an operational "nuisance" than anything else?

We cool.

Dave.

Back