Channel Strip options

Monkey Allen

Fork and spoon operator
Long time no see home recorders...

I wanna invest up to $2000 in some kind of channel strip for recording acoustic guitar, vocals, amps and DI bass.

I've thought about the ADL600:

adl-600frnt-big.jpg

...and the UA 610 mk2:

universalaudio_la610_mkll_1_1.jpg

The ADL600 has 2 mic inputs which is great for recording acoustic guitar...but it doesn't have a compressor and only has limited eq

The 610 only has one mic input.

I wanna ask if you reckon that a channel strip as such is really necessary for what i wanna do? I suppose compression is handy for recording vocals...eq on the way in...I'm not so sure. But then again, I could use the unit in front of a 2 bus to kind of de-ITB my mixes.

So...what do you reckon?

thanks

:thumbs up:

Quite frankly if I had $2000 to splurge on a front end I would get an RME UCX or similar (and have change for the excellent Audient Mico pre amp) .

In these days of 24bits and vast DRs I don't think many people compress or even EQ on the "way in" and being a bit of a digiophile I reckon "out of the box" just adds noise and distortion!

Dave.

Well I already have the RME Fireface...which in many ways is similar to the UCX.

Good point about compression and eq on the way in. I didn't really think of that. But if I wanted to run a mix through some kind of outboard unit maybe something with a compressor on it would be nice.

I don't really have much of an idea.

Is the Audient Mico an interface itself? I mean ADDA comverter? Or you need to run it into an interface like the Fireface or UCX?

What do you think of the Fireface as a pre/ converter?

It's just that I had a windfall recently and am looking to set some stuff up

https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may09/articles/audientmico.htm

The Mico ^ does have very well regarded converters to give a S/PDIF output (so you don't use up any of your existing analogue inputs) has some interesting features and is said to have an excellent DI input. Had I the need (and a local musician still!) it is THE pre amp I would buy to compliment my 2496 soundcards or use with my KA6 for location work.

If "outboard" is something that interests you maybe it is time to consider a patchbay and one of several compressors? The RNC gets a good rep' .

But don't mind me! I don't run a studio. Maybe Bobbsy, Mark, Greg or one of many other "pros" here will advise FAR better than I!

Dave.

No worries Dave.

I was just looking at the RNC.

I thought I might stick with the Fireface as the converter/ interface...get the ADL600 and maybe the RNC.

Oh I forgot to mention, I have a Grace m101 too. I'm doing alright :eek:

No worries Dave.

I was just looking at the RNC.

I thought I might stick with the Fireface as the converter/ interface...get the ADL600 and maybe the RNC.

Oh I forgot to mention, I have a Grace m101 too. I'm doing alright :eek:

Hmm.....You definitely will be a candidate for a patchbay IMHO!

Dave.

How's it going Miro? long time no see. Remember me? You remixed my song years ago. Yeah but the ADL700 only has the one mic input. I'm partial to 2 for the sake of acoustic guitar recording. I'm not cemented in though as yet...thanks

Ah...buy two...I could do that ;) ...but...hmmm

Yeah I'm still here...I can't believe it. But I'm leaving in 88 days.

I'll be going home to Australia...buying a house and setting up my studio...finally...

How you doing Miro?

Ah...buy two...I could do that ;) ...but...hmmm

Yeah I'm still here...I can't believe it. But I'm leaving in 88 days.

I'll be going home to Australia...buying a house and setting up my studio...finally...

How you doing Miro?

You're not going to to get 3 pieces of ADL quality for $2000....but ideally, I would by a 2-channel pre, a 2-channel EQ and a 2-channel comp....or a pair of strips that have those components, though strips will never have as many options with the same depth of functionality as standalone components.

The other option is to buy one strip, like the ADL 700...and then just get another pre to cover the dual mic needs, maybe another Grace m101.
I'm not sure how much you really need a comp up front. Sure, they can come in handy once in awhile, but not too often.
AFA having EQ up front, that has some uses, like if you have a specific tone that you always dial in later on, you can instead just get it dialed in up front and hear it exactly how you want to hear it going in.
I like to use EQ sometime to remove trouble spots that I know are there going in...small cuts mostly.

Vintech makes some Neve style pre/EQ strips.

An other option, though recently discontinued but still available online new/used....is the Manley Langevin Dual Vocal Combo.
I have one and it's a sweet unit. You get pres, EQ, and limiting..and, the limiter section can be used independently of the pre/EQ section.
The pres are very nice, the EQ is Low/Hi with two band options for each. The DI on the DVC is killer for bass (I use it all the time for that)...and the opto-limiter is very benign on sources. A very decent all-in-one dual channel strip.
They are selling anywhere from $900-$1200.

You also have Sebatron in AU that makes some great stuff. I have one of their 4-channel pres that I use a lot....but they also make strips and comps.

Me...I'm doing OK. Working on some new material...you know SSDD. :)

You might even look into some of the 500 series modules, there might be a good combo of units in that budget. Some of those things get way expensive though.

Nice one Miro thanks for the advice...SSDD...nice to know some things never change. Tadpui, will keep that in mind.

I think I'm gonna go with the ADL 600 and not worry about comp or eq on the way in. Maybe one day I can get a RNC or something along those lines.

By the way...was at a dealer yesterday here in HK...they have a Neumann u87ai in the shop...which has been in the window for 2 years as a demo model they said. 2000 they want for it. That's a saving of over 1000. If you had the money...sure sounds like a good deal. What do you reckon? Resale value on these mics has got to be pretty impressive too. Could probably get 2k back for it easy.

My friend mjhamil just ordered the Focusrite ISA 430 from Long and McQuade. 1769 + tax CDN. Can't wait to try it out.
I have the UA610 MKII - love it.
If I had the chance I'd buy that U87 at that price. I need a better mic.

I'm sorely tempted to buy that u87...a pretty rare opportunity I guess. And I'm pretty sure resale would be good. The shop is 3 minutes walk from work...tempting.

That Focusrite looks very useful and great...but I think I'm gonna go another route for that money.

Resale value-wise...the Neumann u87ai is a safe bet...though when you resell, you still have find a buyer who wants it.
They are pricy...and you can find many mics that sound as good (if not better) for less.
The Neumann u87ai is not in any way bad sounding...but mic flavors are SOOOOOO personal, that I wouldn't by a Neumann u87ai just because it's a Neumann u87ai.
IOW....I would see about trying it out if you can...and then make the call.
Like if you were building an extensive mic locker, than yeah...get a Neumann u87ai to add to the collection....but if you just want to have 2-3 mics that fit your needs perfectly....well, you just have to find what sounds best to you.
Point I'm making is....very expensive mics don't always sound best for a given purpose.

I you ARE looking to drop that kind of cash on a mic....check out some of the ADK Z-Mod custom shop mcs...but there are other brands too.

Back