Cerwin-Vega XD8 for mixing?

JeffF

I would appreciate any feedback on Cerwin-Vega's XD8 subwoofer for its application in mixing. This may go unanswered as this may be an application not commonly associated with this subwoofer.

However, with its 35Hz bottom extension response, typical I/P and O/P options, and selectable crossover frequencies, as well as being usable with other brand speakers, at around $200 it drew my attention.

General comments/suggestion are likewise appreciated.

Thank you, JeffF.

What kind of music are you mixing? Subs can be good if you are mixing music with lots of ass-kicking lows (like hip/hop or dance), but you need a good room with plenty of acoustic treatment.

As I am on an entry level and choosing my mobile recording/home-mixing equipment, I appreciate your comment on my revisiting this area.

Rather than working with low-end thumping genres, I am concerned with not hearing any piano notes below what my monitors can get into the first octave (43Hz @ -10 input). (I'm not sure how often keyboard notes into the first octave might be used with contemporary Pop-like piano ballads, just want to be prepared if commonly occurring.)

My closed-back phones are flat between 50 to 20Hz. If I learn them with commercially-recorded piano pieces (if I can find any with notes into the first octave), would this be an adequate approach over a subwoofer for any notes I cannot hear with my monitors that fall off cliff-like at their bottom, flat as they are to that point?

Are keyboard notes in the first octave a rare occurrence with most genres?

The mic's I'd put on a piano are Rode NT1's or M5's: either would capture flat down to 27Hz.

Even though I'd be working with local talent for free-share distribution, I want to present them in the most favorable production that my budget and home setting allows.

(If a sub is advisable for my needs, acoustical treatment for mixing includes standup panels and decoupling approaches though I'd be mixing at a typical TV sound level.)

Thanks for your comments and any further reply, JeffF.

Last edited:
Unless the person doing the playback has subs, they're not going to hear that super low stuff either. 43Hz is about the low E on a bass - how often do you play below that note on the piano? Note that speaker systems will play the harmonics of those low notes, too.

Thanks mjbphotos:

I wasn't sure how often notes in the first octave might be played in Pop piano ballads though I gather from you reply it is not often.

Again, kindly of thanks--JeffF.

Last edited:
Back