CD-R recording problems - help!!

Jay Limmo

OK, here goes:
Just got a Pioneer PDR-555RW audio CD recorder. Love it. I run a portable Sony D-E561 player into it with an optical cable, and haven't had any problems on that front. Everything sounds great when I record it. I use the gold Maxell CD-R Music 74s.
However...
Let's say I burn, I don't know, 5 CDs worth of my favorite Zeppelin bootleg tracks. And they sound great. BUT when a friend asks me to make a copy, and I put the CD-R into the Sony to record a copy of the copy, the Pioneer recorder wants nothing to do with it - "CAN NOT REC." The troubleshooting section of the Pioneer manual is somewhat less than useless, and the prospect of recording 5 Zeppelin CDs through the analog input - and having to enter the track changes by hand- fills me with a feeling of something less than joy.
Does this problem ring any bells? Are recorded CD-Rs not capable of being copied themselves? Is there something wrong with either of the units? Is this all some horrible dream?

It depends on wether the copy you are trying to copy was made on a "pro" or "consumer" unit.
"Consumer" units, which cost a couple hundred dollars less than "pro" units encode encode CD's with SCMS. SCMS prevents you from making more than one digital copy.

Thank you for your response, hixmix. Just looked at the manual - it's a consumer unit. I didn't know that consumer units had that wonderful feature - the recorder was an unexpected gift - so I'd better get ready to do the indexing by hand. I suppose there are worse problems to have...
I don't suppose that anyone out there knows if the engineers who designed the PDR-555RW left any way to defeat the anti-copying feature in there by accident?

There is a possibility you may be able to defeat the SCMS. I had a Tascam DA-30(DAT)and a tech at TASCAM helped me do it over the phone.There was a SCMS chip on the DA-30 circuit board. All I had to do was snip one of the leads.

As for your Pioneer, go to their web site and see if you can e-mail your question to tech support there.

But wait, it gets better!

It just occurred to me that there was ONE CD I burned that I was able to make copies of. It was random tracks, recorded through the analog out, of single Zeppelin tracks scattered across my numerous cassettes.

I was able to make copies of THAT CD-R onto other CD-Rs. Does an optical out automatically put a copy protector on there that an analog signal doesn't?

Back