Can't hear audio from other sources when Audacity is on?

Cyath

Topic. I want to do a cover of a song, and I plan to do it by recording myself singing the song in Audacity with the song playing in the background in Youtube.

However, the audio doesn't play when Audacity is on. Either from YT or an MP3.

This may be because I am recording it through a pre-amp, Steinberg UR22 to be exact. Could that be the case?

Does anyone know of a fix or another way around the issue?

Using Audacity 2.1.0.

Download the audio and record it to Audacity. I'm not sure of any way to do it live without a second computer or input to your interface.

And Audacity is a audio editor. Not really the ideal thing to use for what you are wishing to do. It might work tho. In any case, you will need to place the recorded mp3 or converted Youtube audio file into the software in order to record with it. Not sure of another way that would make sense.

If it doesn't work, try Reaper.

Wait, you have a UR22? You have Cubase AI... Still the same.

Thanks for your reply! If you mean download it as an MP3 file, I've already done that.

What would you suggest I do then? I tried using the prepackaged Cubase software but that was a pain to use. Do you think Reaper is better?

Just trying to do some covers here and there, maybe a little light equalization.

Audacity will obviously let you import the MP3. That what it does. Not sure how it will connect with your interface (UR22) to record on another track.

Cubase and Reaper can both be a pain to use. It just takes time to learn the software and why you need to.

I do think that you can do basic recording with Audacity tho. Just way limited...

Pretty much everyone on this site, except one or two Luddites still using analog, has figured this out, many with help they got here. You can do it. It might be a little frustrating at first, but it will give better results.

The general idea is to have the music on one track in the software, playing out the interface to headphones, while recording your voice through the interface to another track in the software. The interface lets you balance the playback and your voice while you sing. Then you can fine tune the balance of the two for the final product.

Ok I tweaked it a bit and I think I got it! So I sing the song while its playing on the headphones, then I combine that track with the MP3 of the original song? (scrubbed of vocals so my voice is there now) Do I have it right?

Thanks for the help so far. I'll come back when I want to learn about equalization!

Back