Can Rock Music be Authentic within a Home Studio Environment?

That's not true. They do care...when they know. They've already turned on auto-tune. Who knows what ridiculous fakery they'll turn on next.

Yup, not only that but the public care less about the music than stuff like the singer's haircut, whether or not s/he's bisexual, whether they're vegetarian or eat meat, etc.

This is one of the best threads I've read on here. Great discussion.

I am a "talentless hack" who uses sims and virtual drums to make my music, but I do it out of necessity. I just don't have the time or know enough musicians who I can get together and collaborate with. I wish I did because I think it would boost my confidence, skill and create better music in the process. I'd much rather get together with other musicians and write/record music together collaboratively, but it's just not in the cards for me at this point. I hope someday I can change that.

As for using real instruments and micing up to record, I'd much rather do that, but as I think Greg said, I don't have the budget for a bunch of great amps so I use sims to get the sound I want. I'd love to play through an expensive head into a vintage cab and crank the volume to get that "perfect tone", but I just can't at this point. I record in my basement, usually late at night, and sims work well for me. I'm also not trying to produce a hit record or even, at this point, putting music out for others to enjoy.

Another thing that resonated with me in this thread was Greg's comment about getting caught up in the choices when searching for a guitar tone. That happens to me all the time and it hampers the creative process for me. I end up spending most of the time I have to write/record messing with amps and cabs and settings and then I don't even get to making noise/music. My next step is to try and address that and get to making more noise and less settings changes.

HHMM, I realize that there is a buttload of crap you must "wade through". But, on the other hand, there are venues where the cream does rise to the top. I don't have to listen to all the crap, and I see a lot of crap on TV and all over at concerts that is just total crap. I remember long ago, when probably the largest rock station in the world , KLOS, out of Los Angeles held a "rock to riches" event. The winners of this contest was an unknown band, never played in public. They came straight from the garage into my studio. Amazing talent.
...and what ever happened to them?

You ask anyone, a lot of great talent goes unnoticed. Sad, but it's a fact of life.
That's because you have to to have good songs, a personality, a look, be able to self-promote, etc... It takes more than being a great song writer to be a rock star. Your talent has to be multi-faceted.

How about the band Boston? Where did they play? They were an unknown talent, but cranked their album from a basement.
Yet they had a record company backing them. It's not like they did it on a cassette 4-track, Sholz worked for Polaroid and was making a decent buck, so it was a 24 track studio in his basement. The vocals were recorded and the album was mixed at Capitol studios in LA.

You can look at all the mega stars, check out their stories, and whether came from jamming on a street corner, playing at a battle of the bands, or recently saw a very talented young man at an open mic session at one of the music retail stores in my area. If your stuff is good enough, someone will take notice. And that someone just might kick down some bucks and give you that jump start. If your talented, and the music sounds good, someone will notice, you'll be getting hits on facebook or whatever. When you get thousands of hits, you must be doing something right. Yes, the cream will rise to the top.
It can and it does, from time to time, rise to the top. However, the 'top' doesn't pay anything anymore.

That is the lie. You missed a lot.

I still don't get where you are coming from. You seem to be saying that the process matters more than the results. If the music connects with the listener then that is all that matters. As I said before the rest is BS.

This is one of the best threads I've read on here. Great discussion.

Agreed. I don't understand being caught up in what amps and what guitars people are using, it's about the song you create and write. The attitude in the performance of the song. The emotion it contains and evokes. That's all rock music is. Whether it's amp sims or mega-huge combos, it's all the same sh*t. Not everyone can afford the equipment, nothing wrong with using what you have to make rock music - in fact, um, that's almost more rock than anything. If it pisses someone off that I use an amp sim, then i'll use it again and piss them off more. Rock. what.

Agreed. I don't understand being caught up in what amps and what guitars people are using, it's about the song you create and write. The attitude in the performance of the song. The emotion it contains and evokes. That's all rock music is. Whether it's amp sims or mega-huge combos, it's all the same sh*t. Not everyone can afford the equipment, nothing wrong with using what you have to make rock music - in fact, um, that's almost more rock than anything. If it pisses someone off that I use an amp sim, then i'll use it again and piss them off more. Rock. what.

Fair enough. You're gonna be really rock and roll playing a gig with a mouse and laptops. Nothing screams rock and roll like a stack of ipads. Wait, you probably don't play gigs. That's fine. This is home RECORDING. I get it. Recording sound. Hold up, sims make no sound. Damn! In case you're wondering where I'm going with this, I expressed my understanding of sims and samples in my earliest posts of this thread. I get it. I really, really do get it. I know, maybe more than most in here, how expensive and loud and cumbersome real drums and amps can be. So let me ask you, Mr Rock and Roll, some simple questions just to see where you're coming from with all of this anger and defiance. Do you celebrate amp sims because they're easy? Cheap? Can you not afford real gear? If you could afford real gear, would you use it? I'm just curious. No malice, no bad intent. I'm genuinely curious if a sim guy would use real shit if he could.

So let me ask you, Mr Rock and Roll, some simple questions just to see where you're coming from with all of this anger and defiance.

lol, who's the angry one? Use whatever it is you want to use, as long as the music is sincere and means something to you. someone hurt your feelings...bad.

lol, who's the angry one? Use whatever it is you want to use, as long as the music is sincere and means something to you. someone hurt your feelings...bad.

Now, hold up, slow down. I don't necessarily disagree with that. Will you answer my questions?

Yes. Use whatever you want to. I just won't listen to most of it. :D But somebody probably will. And somebody (heaven forbid! ;) ) will probably actually like it. I have nothing against people using sims and drum machines and synth pads and whatever other digital whatnot when they have no other choice. But when you can use real instruments and real mics and real sound, and still don't, Then you're just being lazy. And if that's the case, then I don't think your music is really from the heart. I'm not saying don't use sims and computer generated signals. If you get a sound from one that you like and can't get from a real instrument, then by all means use it. I'm referring to the dudes who use drum samples and try to make it sound like a real kit. I'm siding with Greg on this one, and I am also curious to hear your answer to his question. I would really like to know. (no matter how much the truth may hurt me. lol)

What is "real sound," and where do I find it? You know, when I use drum samples, I'm not trying to make it sound like a real kit. Obviously, sometimes, one wants the fake drums to sound like real drums, but not always . . . . If it sounds like a real kit, whatever. If it sounds like what I want it to sound like (is that a real kit? No?), then I got just what I wanted. I'll put fills and whatever else in to make it sound like drums, of course. What are you trying to do? What are you trying to make? It sounds like you're developing some kind of weird "purist" test . . . "I'm referring to the dudes who use drum samples and try to make it sound like a real kit." Well, why not? What does that even mean? Look, people are going to use every conceivable mish mash of stuff to make the music they want to make. I play with a real good drummer now and then, but he's rarely around, so I don't even think about trying to get him to do anything for or with me. I use drum samples. I actually used samples to try and imitate his playing, because I like it. Big deal. Is a "synth pad" somehow not a real instrument? I use them. Am I lazy? Even if I could afford to buy, say, a Moog analog synth, I wouldn't bother. Did I cross the line? Is any kind of creativity that one conjures up with whatever might be the thing to use not coming from "the heart?" Listen to what you like, and play what you want to play, and make music the way you want to make it. One is somewhere between genius and hackery, and what you're using is irrelevant.

As long as you are using your digital tools to create something real and authentic in the sense that it is an expression or out pouring of something deep inside of you: then you are doing it right. Even if you don't use real drums, real guitars, etc. Because you are going to pour yourself into your music to make sure it is the best it possibly can be. If you are simply doing your music to gain fans or make money, you are doing it wrong.

You said that your drums are not meant to replace a real kit. That's what I'm saying. If you find a sound that you like and can't get from a real kit, GREAT! Use it. If you have the ability to use a real kit, and want the sound of a real kit, and use samples instead... :cursing:

If you don't have a drummer, but do have samples. And you want that real drum sound. Well, I personally wouldn't even put in drums. That's how strongly I feel about it. But if you want to. Great. Do it. Synth pads, digital sounds, and the like have their place. The song "Battle Cry" by the rock group Skillet starts out with digital percussion, then the momentum builds and the electric guitars and real drum kit kick in. For what they are using it for it's great. It sounds really good, and adds another dimension to the song. If they had used that synthy percusion for the whole song, I would hate it. But as it is, the song ranks as one of my favorites by that group. I just can't stand it that samples/plugins/synths are starting to take over the music world.

Of course, in the end, who am I to say what you can and can't use? I'm a purist and am going to defend my petty little opinions to the last breath. As will you. And everybody else on this forum, and probably in the world.

Last edited:
The Beatles killed real rock and roll. After them, it just became, cool pop. I mean really. Rock as we think about it is 3-5 young guys, playing songs as good as they can, with whatever instruments they can afford, singing about things that are real to them. After that, it is progressive pop, hard pop, acid Pop, grunge pop, blah, blah.

Rock and roll is supposed to be real, no overdubs and 100 tracks of stuff. You record what you can play live. That is Rock and roll to me. Pure and simple.

So, if a band uses e-drums live, is it okay for them to use samples in studio?
If a guitarist uses a Waves plugin live and just has empty Marshall cabs for looks...

This really is an amazing thread. There is so much diversity in opinion and application. You can't define what is right for everyone. A Picasso is not a Rembrandt. You can't run a plumbing business on a catering business plan...
If you define "Rock" in a narrow band spectrum of the genre, you might make an argument for doing things in a certain way, but whatever happened to "If it sounds good, it is good."?

So, if a band uses e-drums live, is it okay for them to use samples in studio?
If a guitarist uses a Waves plugin live and just has empty Marshall cabs for looks...

This really is an amazing thread. There is so much diversity in opinion and application. You can't define what is right for everyone. A Picasso is not a Rembrandt. You can't run a plumbing business on a catering business plan...
If you define "Rock" in a narrow band spectrum of the genre, you might make an argument for doing things in a certain way, but whatever happened to "If it sounds good, it is good."?

See where you have taken a left turn is you are defining music. The question is "Rock and Roll". Like saying the difference between folk art and classic art. You are trying to skew the question.

See where you have taken a left turn is you are defining music. The question is "Rock and Roll". Like saying the difference between folk art and classic art. You are trying to skew the question.

I don't believe anybody is TRYING to skew anything, though It may have happened inadvertently.

I don't know how the survey is going or even if any of us have participated in it.
However I do know that this thread has taken off.

In regards to the original question, yes. I think a home studio is capable of producing an "authentic" rock recording.

Its all in the approach.

Most young rock bands have always started out at home. In someone's garage.
You got your songs, sound and chops down in someone's garage. Usually it was at the drummer's house because his parents and neighbors had a tolerance for noise.

However all good things come to an end and at some point you got kicked out and got your first taste of "pay to play"....... the rehearsal studio.

Anyway, those first adventures in the garages were quite authentic, and quite rock and roll.
3 or 4 guys or girls in one room rocking out.
If you were any good or not is a different issue.

Fast forward to today.
Never before has the technology been so abundant and inexpensive, as well as easy to get, as now.
Hell, you dont even have to leave your house. You research, talk about and learn what gear you need on the net. And when you are ready to purchase, you just click a button. Bam! Less than a week later gear shows up at your door.

Life made easy. You couldn't do that in the 60s, 70s, 80s, or even the 90s.

So today the technology is available to record authentic rock and roll.

But technology is a double edged sword.
It has also created a slew of one man bands with fake sounds, fake amps, fake vocals, etc.
Now dont get me wrong, these synthetic computer generated sounds can be quite realistic and be used very well.

The problem lies in the lack of a band.
instead of 3 or 4 live human beings interacting and creating music on real time, you now have quite a few "lone wolf" artists.
Some can do it, but most can't. Not all of us are on a level of Todd Rundgren.
Very few people can do it all themselves, and do it well.

In a band, with the interaction, you are forced to improve. There is always the drummer or singer to tell you your solo sucked. It works in the positive as well.

Besides, with a band, sooner or later you gigged. You can't really get good without gigging. Its a whole different world being up on stage in front of real people.

So with home recording having become so easy to do, almost anyone with some musical skill can do it.
So you get a lot of pure shit. The guy is trying to wear too many hats, and trying to do things he or she isn't good at.

One may be a great guitar player but a horrible writer. And many variations of that theme.

I have heard a lot of great stuff come from a one man writing, production performance team, but it is not common.

The best "authentic" rock and roll comes from a band. Real players with real instruments, recording real songs.

And yes, it can be done in a home studio. You just have to do it right.
:-)

Edit:
But then again, today you can collaborate with people you've never met, and may never meet in person.

It's a fucking brave new world!

Last edited:
I don't know how the survey is going or even if any of us have participated in it.
However I do know that this thread has taken off.

In regards to the original question, yes. I think a home studio is capable of producing an "authentic" rock recording.

Its all in the approach.

Most young rock bands have always started out at home. In someone's garage.
You got your songs, sound and chops down in someone's garage. Usually it was at the drummer's house because his parents and neighbors had a tolerance for noise.

However all good things come to an end and at some point you got kicked out and got your first taste of "pay to play"....... the rehearsal studio.

Anyway, those first adventures in the garages were quite authentic, and quite rock and roll.
3 or 4 guys or girls in one room rocking out.
If you were any good or not is a different issue.

Fast forward to today.
Never before has the technology been so abundant and inexpensive, as well as easy to get, as now.
Hell, you dont even have to leave your house. You research, talk about and learn what gear you need on the net. And when you are ready to purchase, you just click a button. Bam! Less than a week later gear shows up at your door.

Life made easy. You couldn't do that in the 60s, 70s, 80s, or even the 90s.

So today the technology is available to record authentic rock and roll.

But technology is a double edged sword.
It has also created a slew of one man bands with fake sounds, fake amps, fake vocals, etc.
Now dont get me wrong, these synthetic computer generated sounds can be quite realistic and be used very well.

The problem lies in the lack of a band.
instead of 3 or 4 live human beings interacting and creating music on real time, you now have quite a few "lone wolf" artists.
Some can do it, but most can't. Not all of us are on a level of Todd Rundgren.
Very few people can do it all themselves, and do it well.

In a band, with the interaction, you are forced to improve. There is always the drummer or singer to tell you your solo sucked. It works in the positive as well.

Besides, with a band, sooner or later you gigged. You can't really get good without gigging. Its a whole different world being up on stage in front of real people.

So with home recording having become so easy to do, almost anyone with some musical skill can do it.
So you get a lot of pure shit. The guy is trying to wear too many hats, and trying to do things he or she isn't good at.

One may be a great guitar player but a horrible writer. And many variations of that theme.

I have heard a lot of great stuff come from a one man writing, production performance team, but it is not common.

The best "authentic" rock and roll comes from a band. Real players with real instruments, recording real songs.

And yes, it can be done in a home studio. You just have to do it right.

Edit:
But then again, today you can collaborate with people you've never met, and may never meet in person.

It's a fucking brave new world!

I think this is the first really good and thoughtful post in this whole discussion. And I agree 101%!

Reactions: RFR
Back