Can I Sing At All??

chrisp200

I have had my "studio" for over a month now. I love it more than any girl!! I just hate my voice...so I just need outside thoughts on it...is it as bad as I think or is it me just being judgmental. I did dub 2 vocal tracks on it so does it sound to fake? if so how can I keep the warmth that dubbing vocals gives while not getting such a computerized sound? dont pay attention to the guitar (I need new strings and re record them)just let me know honest oponions its the only way to improve.

Mahalo

Chris P

I think most people find it hard to adjust to hearing their own voice. I still hate it. Sometimes I delete whole songs because I feel I can't sing it well. Other times, my voice works with a song. I upload a song here on Homerecording and get feedback from people who I don't know and they tell me it sounds good. I start to think maybe it's okay. I still hate hearing it though and it just makes me work harder to get the tone I want.

With your demo, I don't think you need the 2nd dub. If you want to do it, you've got to be spot on with the 1st take. Not easy to do. Other than that, to answer your question... yes, you can sing.

Look forward to hearing more of the song you've got started....

Cheers,

Are you f*ckin' puttin' us on? You've got a great voice! So, get over yourself and sing already :D

For doubling vocals the trick is to mix the second (overdub) vocal so that it's just enough to thicken the sound of the main vocal and then back it down (the level or volume) just a touch so that the effect isn't audible. That said, for R & B and the style you have here which is sort of modern folk rock, the doubled vocal becomes an effect. So, it can go either way...

Keep going with it :)

Rich

Dude, don't cross post. You asked this in the songwriting forum too.

Be careful of that, it'll get you flamed.

And to answer your question, yes, you can sing. Get used to hearing your voice recorded. The mic hears it different than you do because the mic isn't getting it vibrating across your skull and jawbone, only through the air... :rolleyes:

I think most of us (who sing) don't like hearing our own voice, or at least hated it in the beginning. Your voice is fine, you might want to work on your technique or try a few different mics th get the sound you are looking for. Don't give up, with practice and patience you may even start to like what you are hearing, apparently other people do.

you sound ok man dont sweat it.. like everybody is saying it takes some getting used to hearing your own voice... hell the first time i heard mine i was like wtf is that???

thank you all for not letting me quit. I'm not the most confident person in the world but as long as there is at least potential in what I'm trying to do, i am happy.

Thank you again

Chris P

Back