Can I hear a Virtual Synth Live?

littleingot

Here's the setup, and in no particular order, as I've been changing configurations constantly (both physical and otherwise).
p4 1.66
Tascam US 428 mixer
Emu 0404 soundcard
Yamaha DX7 IIFD
PowerTracks 9.0

There are of course a lot of instruments and things, but they're not germaine to this topic.

The question is simple really. I just want to hear what my DXI synth is doing while I'm playing, rather than futzing with it later in playback. I may be asking too much. Maybe not.

I can hear the MS GS Wavetable synth live, but the latency is preposterous, and it's not what I want to use anyway. I've routed the MIDI from the keys to the mixer to the souncard and back the same way. I've skipped the mixer on the way in. I've skipped the mixer on the way out. I've skipped the mixer altogether. The MIDI signal always gets to where it needs to go (ie. it's there for playback) but somewhere there must be a driver configuration that will allow me to hear (for example) the Edirol super quartet while I'm playing.

I'm really new to this and there may be something basic that I'm lacking (hardware, knowledge...) but that's why I come to you. I know I could get a seiries of external synths, but I'm trying to keep my gear costs down until I know what I'm doing, at least a little.

Thanks for your help.

It's my understanding that .... no, you can not play a DXi live with Powertracks. Only during playback will you get the sounds from the DXi itself.
You would think it would offer live input processing of a virtual instrument but apparently this is not the case.
n-Track will do this via it's live input processing with the virtual instrument selected as the output of a MIDI track.
Most of the high dollar programs will do this as well.

No ASIO
No native VST/VSTi support
and
No live input processing of virtual instruments

Shame on pgmusic!

It's a software issue and nothing else? That's sort of a relief. So my options now for low end software are one of the many versions of cubase I've picked up with various hardware purchases (none of which allow more than eight audio tracks) or what I've got. Maybe it's time to go higher end. Any suggestions? I'm PC now, but may be going mac. If I'm gonna drop real coin on this, it's gonna be the one I live with. A life patner if you will. I hate making decisions.

Thanks

Cubase SX is a great program.
You might want to see if you are eligible for an upgrade path from one of the versions you have already.
I wouldn't knock n-Track due to it's low cost. I own it as well as a plethora of other programs.
If you've got the coin, go with the big dogs but I'm tickled with n's abilities.

Back