Can I get feedback on a recording of mine?

TGO

Hey, I've been recording some stuff for a bit of time. My issue is I keep getting that echoey sound from my mic. Can anyone give it a listen and tell me what is lacking in terms of recording technique? They are short covers of Sparks by Coldplay and Boat on the River by Styx.
Just to let you know I am using
AT2020 Condenser without a pop filter
Steinberg UR22
You can give feedback about the performance itself if you want :)
Thanks

Boat on the River | Files.fm.

Sparks | Files.fm.

No one will download a stranger's file, put them on a streaming site like soundcloud, then use the MP3 Clinic section of these forums.

Actually, if you look there is a play button that doesn't need a download. I noticed right off that like a lot of vocalists the low notes are usually the most vulnerable to pitchiness. And in the song Boat/River that low root note is at the end of the phrase usually, where air is short and they are sharp because of it. I don't think the voice is inordinately washy or affected by the room, but the guitar sounds direct injected, and might benefit from having the same general ambience as the voice. Were the tracks done live together? Your pitch is very good up high, just watch the low notes.....

Actually, if you look there is a play button that doesn't need a download. I noticed right off that like a lot of vocalists the low notes are usually the most vulnerable to pitchiness. And in the song Boat/River that low root note is at the end of the phrase usually, where air is short and they are sharp because of it. I don't think the voice is inordinately washy or affected by the room, but the guitar sounds direct injected, and might benefit from having the same general ambience as the voice. Were the tracks done live together? Your pitch is very good up high, just watch the low notes.....

Yeah, they were recorded live together. Is guitar being recorded in two ways at the same time (plugged into the interface and from the mic itself) a problem? And if I had a pop filter how would the recording sound change?I don't exactly know the purpose of a pop filter.

Answers would be so helpful.
Thanks

The 'play button wasn't obvious. Yeah, the guitar sounds DIed, not miked, but not bad considering. The vocal has a lot of room sound to it, whereas the DI guitar has no reverb.

Cool. You have quite a nice voice.
The first thing I noticed is that I'd have mixed the guitar up a tad. But maybe that's just personal preference.
Someone mentioned echo on the guitar - just a little would be a good idea.
If you are meaning to sing "tranquility", you are pronouncing it wrong. If you intended to sing "tran-kill-ity" then nevermind.
This songs begs for a tasteful acoustic solo midway. Or as an outtro. :)

There were a couple recent blog posts at Recording Revolution — Learn How to Record and Mix Your Songs (hope this is not violating any rules) about recording and mixing guitar and vocal (only) songs. It might be worth reading and watching the videos.

I hear a need for EQ and compression, for starters. You might consider recording to a click track, too. The rhythm seems a little uneven to me.

But, nice song and singing!

I think there's an MP3 mix forum where these things are more appropriately posted. (I'm also new here.)

Back