Can It Be Done??//tape to *.wav

My objective: Getting already mixed songs off
tape and into the computer, cleaning up the hiss, maybe adding a few effects, lining 'em up in a nice order, getting consistent volume, converting to wav files and burning to CD.

Have CD burner and Adaptec already.

What I figure I still need is some kind of sound manipulating software and a sound card that has an input jack -- mine apparently does not.

Am I on the right track? Any good suggestions for software? Have been looking at Sound Forge stuff.

You're absolutly on track. Everybody has a favorite recording/editing softwarebut I use Sound Forge 4.5 and I like it. It works very well for me and is an easy editor to learn and will do everything you want to do. SF 4.5 might be a little pricey but there's a lite version called Sound Forge XT that's about $40 or so and there's some free share ware stuff as well but I don't have any experience with those. SOund cards, well, again everybody has an opinion on what flavor they like. You get what you pay for and there's a lot of 'em out there. I will tell you this, I don't care for the sound blaster stuff.

ive never seen a soundcard without an input jack but ill take your word for it..

if the sound quality of the tapes isnt great to begin with , a 20 dollar pci soundcard with inputs will suffice.. if you dont have a critical ear , which you dont just starting out , it will sound great.. sound forge xp is a good little prgram for just what you want to do..just make sure your computer is at least a pentium 300 mmx with at least 64 megs of ram and a 4 gig hard drive..

- eddie -

Dear sister,

It's a must have a sound card with input and output lines. Check in the back of your computer and see where your speaker wire is plugged into. There shoul be at least two other holes there. If not, then go buy a sound card to install. I downloaded a free trial version of CoolEdit 2000, and it did the same job for me that you want done.

You can get this program at:

http:\\www.syntrillium.com

It's very easy to use and has great support.

Happy Recording
Jim

Hey Sister:
I have the Sound Forge XP 4.5, and I think it's a steal for the money..
You must have some kind of place to plug in your stuff (?) look in the back of your computer & see if it has any phono plug holes in it..There are usually 2 or 3 there.
If not, check out the Sonic Port from www.optec.com
This will bypass your soundcard, and give you analog to digital, digital to analog signals. With these 2 items, Sound Forge & Optec, you'll be ready to go.

Back