Buzzing/Humming In setup since today (new Subwoofer)

Jonas Rosier

Hello everyone,

Today I received my subwoofer (Yamaha HS 8S) to complete my little setup.
When I installed the sub out of nowhere I got a humming/buzzing noise which I also had with the speakers (Genelec 8020 CPM) before I got my DAC (FiiO USB DAC-E10).

I got my DAC connected to the Sub with 3.5 jack -> XLR, from the sub to the speakers I'm using XLR -> XLR.
Without the Sub I'm not having this problem.
I've been looking all day but can't find a solution.

What I've tried:
- Connecting PC, Speakers and Sub to the same power outlet to make sure it isn't a ground loop problem.
- Connected the DAC to my laptop instead of my desktop. With the laptop I don't get any noise with the sub (both running on battery and charging it works perfectly but I do want it to work on my desktop of course)
- Unplugged all USB devices except the DAC.

What I know:
- The humming/buzzing doesn't increase in volume when I turn up the volume, it's a constant volume level.
- When having a heavy load on the GPU (for example: gaming) makes the noise louder.

I hope someone can help me with this problem, if you need more information to help me please ask for it.

P.S: I hope my English isn't to terrible, I'm from Belgium.

I expect your 3.5 jack maybe an unbalanced TS jack. See if you can get hold of a balanced TRS Jack to XLR cable

Why are you using a headphone output to drive speakers?

Is this just for playback or do you record? If you record you will benefit greatly by having all your converters (ADC, DAC) in one device.

That output is stereo unbalanced. You're connecting it to stereo balanced. Depending on the specific details of the gear you have there are different ways to wire the cable, primarily involving what to do with the ground. You may need a custom cable. For more detailed help go read Sound System Interconnection. Better yet, get a DAC (or audio interface) that has balanced line outputs to properly interface with your speaker system.

Well, Since I just made quite an investment as a student. I don't have the money yet to buy myself a good DAC. So I'm using the Line out of this DAC (which I was able to buy cheap) which is dedicated for speakers.
I assume I can't get this solved until I get myself a balanced DAC then =/

I think you have proved pretty conclusively that this is a hum/earth/ground loop problem.

The simplest and cheapest solution (tho' it may not be totally successful ) is to cut the shield connection on the DAC to sub audio cable. Best to make up a special lead and LABEL IT!

Dave.

Do you guys think the ART CLEANBoxPro will solve my problem?
ART CLEANBoxPro signaaltransformator kopen? | Goedkope | Promo | DI Box

Yes, it almost certainly would but I thought you were an impecunious student? In any case, transformers can introduce distortions, especially at VLF. Why not try the "braid breaker" idea first? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1Y21S14A7NZKP97ACFQA
is rather better than the price would suggest and is a cost effective way to prove the issue.

Or this.......^

Dave.

Are you only monitoring on this setup? Or do you need to record audio inputs as well?

If you need inputs and outputs, ART actually makes a cheap little 2in/2out interface with TRS outputs:

ART USB Dual Pre | Sweetwater.com

I'm only using it for monitoring.

I think I might have a groud loop issue after all. Since the CleanBoxPro didn't work it can't be a problem with the Balanced/Unbalanced.
Tomorrow I'm gonna try some thing with the computer itself. Since my case is steel it might have a small lacking current on it from the PSU wich causes the problem.

Back