Buying My First Audio Interface

Yeah, but 'overloading from loud vocals' is a whole 'nother thing.

Err? Well, a certain well loved (FKsw) interface was overloaded by not all that "loud" direct guitar!

And, we can put up with quite a lot of distortion of a certain type on a lot of sounds but the voice only needs a small amount to start sounding "edgy" or "gritty" ? Ok in the right context of course but by no means all.
Dave.

You're right - but when I think of 'overloading a mic' I'm thinking its from being too loud into it, not digital clipping at the interface.

You're right - but when I think of 'overloading a mic' I'm thinking its from being too loud into it, not digital clipping at the interface.

I was not thinking of digital clipping either. If we are talking capacitor mics then it might be possible to overload the internal amp but it would be impossible to overload a dynamic with a voice or anything else I can think of! (OTTOMH the SM57/58s produce 1%thd at 150dBSPL?).

No, I am thinking of the pre amp stage of an AI. You only get one and it has a single gain control. To get usable gain some 55-60dB will be available but due to aforementioned power/cost constraints the maximum input signal it can handle will be limited compared to a much more expensive, stand alone mic pre.

These usually split the gain over 2 stages 50/20dB or something like that but also the supplies to the stages will be several volts higher than found in typical AIs and therefore the amp will have higher intrinsic headroom.

Dave.

figured I would post and give my opinion, I started with a Allen and Heath ZED-12FX , really nice mixer with some great features that you can usually get for around $400 from Sweetwater, the nice thing is that you can easily perform some hardware modifications to give you more insert/output options. Then I added the Presonus 1818vsl interface which works great with Apple, PC and even IPad IOS and Android as a digital interface. The 1818vsl comes with Studio One Artist, another big bonus as you can always upgrade to Pro to get more features when you are ready. The 1818vsl also allows remote control thru wireless to the IPad with the their own app, a nice feature to control and mange the mixer in live applications. More than enough inputs , outputs for most scenarios, digital inputs, outputs, great mic pre's the list goes on. Not sure if you use an IPad but with a powered USB hub, you can direct connect the IPad and 181vsl, use Cubasis or Auria for 18/18 I/O. I have never had any issues and usually can get them either less than $500 with mic cables and lots of extras if you look around. IMO the 1818vsl is one of the best rack components you can own, small footprint and durable, plus it looks cool at night :) good luck!

Another 'non' paragraph user...

I keep telling myself "I won't turn into a grumpy old man"! lol!

It's just todays bad English LOL, Paragraphs are your friend, it makes stuff so much easier to read. There you go another grumpy old man LOL.

Alan.

Back