burning problem?

mic key

for like a month now ive been having trouble with my burner not being able to read blank cds, i had easy cd creator 4 when it started then i took it to best buy and they put ecdc5 on and its still doing it, currently i'm getting the table of contents to burn but no further, before ive got error messages, ive had about 5 memorex since the problem started that i got to work but no verbatims like i used to use, i dont think its my lens or drive, it can read other cds and my dvd drive works still, under settings in my cdr/w drive my media type is not ready whatever that means ?????

What's the error message? Is this a new problem, or has this problem always existed with this burner? Have you tried turning the burn speed down? I would recommend ditching EZCD and getting a copy of Nero, but that may not solve the problem.

Verbatim?

Are the verbatim disc's that you are trying to burn from coming off the same spindle (same batch)? It's not uncommon to get a bad batch of CDR's or RW's. Check with a friend that has a different brand of blank discs other than Verbatim or Memorex (since you know the Memorex already works. If the other disc works, the odds are that you got a bad batch, and you might as well give them away or sell them to someone who can use them.

I also second the recommendation to get Nero, but you may want to do that when money permits it, like when you do your next software upgrade.

Good Luck!

Dick

i have both nero and ecdc5 and neither of them will read blank cd's.... now all it's doing is writing table of contents and then freezing forcing u to quit and ruin a cd..... is there a connection somewhere i can check that might cure reading errors?

I believe all of these programs have a "test write" capability. You should use that until you get your problem resolved - it will save you some coasters by letting you know there is a problem before it attempts to burn the CD.

Frequently when a burner quits in the middle of a session, it is due to a buffer underrun (i.e., the data feed is not keeping pace with the write speed). This is not uncommon if the "source" of the data is another CD. Placing the data on your hard drive first might help, as might slowing down the burn speed.

Also, it is not uncommon for some burners to not like some brands of CD-R's. I've never been able to figure out a rhyme or reason for this, but if you get a brand that works with your burner, it's a good idea to stay with that brand.

Back