Blue Yeti USB Microphone - Best USB Mic?

coasta255

Hey guys,

so i wanted to know your opinion about this microphone. For a noob starting out, would this be a decent mic to start out and use FL Studio with?

Here is a review I wrote and want to update it with actual user experiences:

http://prostudiostore.com/blue-yeti-usb-microphone-review-worth-buying

From what i hear there is almost nothing bad about this mic at all. A few friends were asking me about this mic as well so I want to see what you guys would recommend if I am looking for a USB mic under $200.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,

so i wanted to know your opinion about this microphone. For a noob starting out, would this be a decent mic to start out and use FL Studio with?

Here is the best review I could find Blue Yeti USB Microphone review, Worth Buying? | The Music Recording Studio Store

From what i hear there is almost nothing bad about this mic at all. A few friends were asking me about this mic as well so I want to see what you guys would recommend if I am looking for a USB mic under $200.

My brother uses the Yeti for voiceovers for his animation. I just recently got an acoustic shield that I wanted to test out while stateside, and so I tried it on his Yeti. Let me just say right away that the yeti sounded like dogshit compared to a Blue Spark or my CAD M179 (love that mic, still cant believe I got it for about the price of my sm58).

If you MUST have a USB mic, I'd look into the Rode NT-USB. I thought the Yeti was atrocious (at least for singing) but then again, my brother makes great voiceovers using the mic, so perhaps it's just not for me. Either way, the best way to know for sure is to get somewhere where you can test the mics out yourself, as every mic has different pros and cons particular to one's voice, regardless of which or how many raving reviews you read

Last edited by a moderator:
Whilst a USB microphone can be useful for simple tasks such as Podcasting, the fact that you will be using a "proper" DAW such as FL tells me that you will soon find one very limiting.

If cash is really tight the combination of M-Audio M-track and Behringer C1 would give just as good basic results, (at least) and be infinitely more flexible. The two can be had for $149.

Since the M-Track is available at just $99 I am sure others can suggest better mics at $100?

Dave.

I took a look at the M-Audio M-Track. Seems pretty nice for $100. But there is also the option of the Focusrite Scarlett Solo Audio Interface for the same price. (I actually wrote a review of this as well on my site, 'Pro Studio Store'). Ill keep doing some more research and see what i can find. Thanks for the input!

" But there is also the option of the Focusrite Scarlett Solo Audio Interface for the same price."
Same price but you get a lot less!
Only one mic channel and no MIDI . Our very own Bobbsy reckons the pres on the M-Track are pretty good and it is not as tho' you need a lot of gain with a capacitor?

Sure, the Solo is a vast step up from a USB mic and I would suggest it if ALL a bod was into was Podding but if you intend to make music on any level I think you need at least two mic amps.

I have a Scarlet 8i6 an NI KA6 and an A&H zed 10 and I struggle to tell the difference between the mic amps. I used a Behringer X802 for some time and that was not at all bad.

Truth be told peeps. Once somebody had the idea of tacking a couple of low noise, discrete transistors to the front end of a bog S opamp, mic pres have been cheap and easy!

Dave.

It's a fact that some people just don't want to buy a separate AI, despite all the advantages. They want 'plug and play' with a mic.
I've heard that the AT2020USB is a a decent $100 USB mic for those who insist on this route.

I must be getting old. I got one for $20 used. It sounds fat to me. I have recorded about 130 albums using a U87 but recently I have been having a good time buying all kinds of cheap stuff. Most all of it sounds good. I think I am loosing it.

Back