Is the Blue Spark Digital any good?

AlbanAnimation

Im new the sound recording, I want to start a youtube channel, but I am laking a good microphone. I have a budget of 200 dollars and I was thinking of getting a blue spark. But where I live, they are hard to find. I still managed to find a blue spark digital and was thinking of buying it, but unlike the regular blue spark, it is a usb microphone instead of XLR. Is it still good? If not, what microphone would you recommend?

You might want to give us more information about your setup and more detail about just what you are going to be presenting on your YouTube channel.

Im starting a basic animation channel, so I will use the mic for voice overs. What other info should I give. (P.S) I do not have a Mic, pre amp, or interface right now.

You would not be able to use the standard Blue Spark mic without an interface, so the 'digital' model (I assume you mean the USB model) would at least get you started.

I have no experience with the Blue Spark Digital, but of the reviews I looked at, most were favorable and probably a good choice on your budget. While you're hanging around on this forum it might be a good idea to find some of the threads on 'room treatment' which can help reduce the echoes of your voice bouncing around the room you record in. If you have questions about room treatment, don't hesitate to ask rather than building something that may not work well.

I advise caution and a great deal of investigation. The Video and Audio world and PCs does not seem to play well together UNLESS you get hard and software specifically designed to do that. E.g. you might NOT be able to route the USB mic signal to the pictures.

People come to the Newb section with expectations of doing just music recording on a shoestring, a USB mic is a fair but not ideal way to do that but add in the complication of video and you are probably looking at needing BOOTlaces, belt, braces and a thick rope!

You can download 30 day demos of the video production softwares, Camtasia and Sony Vegas. I suggest you do that and find out what additional hard ware you will need. The software will list 'Capture Devices' and you can see if a USB mic is amongst them.

Finally, do not take the above ramblings as from someone who knows what they are doing. I have merely tried and failed mostly!

Dave.

Hey Dave,
You really should look at OBS man.
I've only ever used it on MacOS but I'm going to test on Windows later today because these questions come up quite a lot.

A while back I wanted a simple video editor that would let me record from multiple audio sources...Internal and external.
I trawled through demos of 'top 10' software lists and found over and over that every suite lacked some basic functionality or limited something unnecessarily.

So far, OBS is the only suite I've tested that's free, and the only suite that does everything I need!

I'll have to ask around and see what's popular amongst streamers and youtubers, because recording voice and game audio (presumably separately?) is a pretty common thing these days.

Got it Steen' I downloaded the zip file (don't like 'installers' tend to get DriverMate or some such crap with them!) . Took me a time to find the setup icon but did it. I then spent a good 5 minutes trying to find my camera. I expected to find a 'capture devices' box? No. Then I looked for somewhere to stick the camera's URL, still no joy even tho' it is delivering lovely pictures of the bombsite that is the side of my house.

Did you get that chunk of proggs I sent from the camera DVD? If so I will send you its URL but I don't think you actually need to install any of that to get pickkies?

Dave.

Got it Steen' I downloaded the zip file (don't like 'installers' tend to get DriverMate or some such crap with them!) . Took me a time to find the setup icon but did it. I then spent a good 5 minutes trying to find my camera. I expected to find a 'capture devices' box? No. Then I looked for somewhere to stick the camera's URL, still no joy even tho' it is delivering lovely pictures of the bombsite that is the side of my house.

Did you get that chunk of proggs I sent from the camera DVD? If so I will send you its URL but I don't think you actually need to install any of that to get pickkies?

Dave.

Oh, Sorry Dave. Crossed wires a bit.
OBS *should* be an ideal software for youtubers/streamers etc wanting to capture game audio + separate mic audio, or whatever.

I don't expect it's any use to you with your IP camera, though...
Firing you an email now. :)

Back