BIOS/firewire card help needed...

Dave, the advice you gave didn't just used to be: Still is on Focusrite's page.

Is it now?? Well then that reminds me of the other advice that was often given out. Although a TI chipset is almost always ok...Always check with the AI maker first. I understand MOTU were a bit fussy and not TI friendly?

For completeness I shall say that again, "back in the day", many laptops were incapable of running FW audio even if they had the right chipset or a plug in card because the MOBO simply did not have the "grunt".

I keenly await the first USB 3.0 AI at around $300 and with about a zillion tracks!

Dave.

RME's UCX supports 3.0, but it's a bit above your $300 price point (about 5x)...

Yeah, I am told the "General and Domestic" firms are sitting on their corporate hands waiting for someone to develop a USB 3.0 audio controller chip?

In the meantime they could surely make something that took advantage of the extra bus power?

Dave.

Indeed^! And can I add that "back in the day" when every fifth forum question seemed to be to do with audio problems and Fussywire! Any Firewire card bought should be JUST FW400. Not FW+USB and not FW800+FW400. And TI chipset of course.

Hah! Just noticed that the SIG card suggested IS FW800! Just goes to show that nothing is cast in stone when it comes to computers. The advice always USED to be as I stated!

Dave.

It's FW800 x 2 and FW400 x 1; it still works like a champ though! :thumbs up:

Back